Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TechnoNerd

install win98 onto win2000pro

It is possible to have two boot hard drive. Example I have win2000 on my hard drive. trying to install win98 also on the same hard disk. Would that works? I need window98 because of dos program for my education, How do I do that.

I wouldn't recommend putting 2 OSes onto the same partition - it can be done, but is likely to be the cause of major headaches.

Also (at least as far as I know) Win98 only likes to be installed on the first partition (drive C) - doesn't like going anywhere else. Which means, unfortunately, that you're going to have to reinstall Win2k as well.

You'll have to install Win98 to the primary partition, then install Win2k to an extended partition - and you don't need to worry about boot loaders, because Win2k will take care of that for you.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Rgds

AndyF

I agree. I have seen someone mention dual booting and sharing the same partition, however it's been a while since I saw that (sing along now)

You don't have to do a reformat, but you do need to divvy up your hard drive for a second partition.

In the MMC go to Disk Management and you can resize your disks and format appropriately.

Install 98 on the new partition (FAT32 only) and let it fully complete the install. Afterwords, boot off the Win2k CD, and run the repair option. If you have the ERD made, just type fixboot in the revcovery console, otherwise choose the fast repair option and you'll have your dual boot set.