Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zoooom

Anybody play starcraft?

If you do and your running win2k do you get that "Game host has to much latency" error or something like that. If Im lucky I get on 5% of the games. I have to logoff and rejoin battlenet about 10 times and then if Im lucky Ill get a game. Is there no solution for this? I know many of you who probably have this issue because I have looked over the net and it seems to be a common problem. Funny thing is I think it used to work... maybe its the 1.08 patch. Also it minimizes to the desktop without warning and then wont re-open.

Tbird 800

asus k7v

256 pc133

win2k pro sp2

A big headache...

I dont know how I posted it in hardware. Any moderators want to pound me with a shovel then move my post?

The problem is not from Win2K.. its battle.net's problem or network problem..

If i connect to the b.net server during busy hours, i will get this error message sometimes (not many), but i have no problem in other time.

The only problem i have while playing starcraft in win2k or XP is that the game will quit by itself for no reason.

Reboot the pc before joining b.net seems to fix the problem.

Yeah I know its not win2k's fault per say... but if I use a win98 box I NEVER get the message. No matter what time of the day it is. I searched the web also and many people claim the same thing. They say only in win2k do they get this. Sometimes its worse for others. So that tells me its definitely an issue with the way starcraft was programmed. It wasnt fully tested on windows 2000 ( obviously ). It would be dumb to blame win2k when we all know win2k is superior to win9x in every way. Its only the software developer who is coding the apps to utilize win9x and not win2k.

battlenet is just a server... Actually connecting to battlenet and finding games and using the chat works perfectly. Its just when trying to join a game does this error show. This is defenitly and issue on the client end not a problem with battlenet. Since win98 works perfectly.

Quote:

Yeah I know its not win2k's fault per say... but if I use a win98 box I NEVER get the message. No matter what time of the day it is. I searched the web also and many people claim the same thing. They say only in win2k do they get this. Sometimes its worse for others. So that tells me its definitely an issue with the way starcraft was programmed. It wasnt fully tested on windows 2000 ( obviously ). It would be dumb to blame win2k when we all know win2k is superior to win9x in every way. Its only the software developer who is coding the apps to utilize win9x and not win2k.

battlenet is just a server... Actually connecting to battlenet and finding games and using the chat works perfectly. Its just when trying to join a game does this error show. This is defenitly and issue on the client end not a problem with battlenet. Since win98 works perfectly.

Its like this, you can do nearly anything in Windows 98. Ive heard of stories of people coding, and running a progy and overwriting all of the shortcut names on there desktop, or in some cases over writing the system kernel. This is because Windows 98 sucks and shouldnt even be called an operating system. Anyone that develops for (especially on) Win 95/98/Me is playing with fire. Anything that doesnt work in Win2k is ussually because of flawed software design and in my experience those programs are generally buggy no matter what OS.

personally, Ive been playing Starcraft a lot on my LAN at home. I have 3 computers set up on a 100mb switched network. Games get long sometimes, and never had any computer give me **** (or drop to the desktop). 1 computer is running Win XP(RTM via devilsown release), the other 2 are windows 2k, sp2 computers. All configured well. havent tried much battle net stuff. Theo nly thing that I can think of us that your connection to battlenet is not very strong. You should ping it and see what kind of response times you get. Perhaps when you uprgraded to win2k, your modem driver is old.. or not as well implemented. or maybe you have it set to some setting (com port too slow).. Im on a shared cablemodem on my network at home, so Ive never had this problem.

j

Hornet I have a good internet connection and get awesome pings on most games I play. Battlenet is fine... I connect and browse around battlenet perfectly. Its just when trying to join a game. I also did alot of research before posting here and there are several people with the same exact problem. One guy on an oc3 said that he could only connect to a game about 90% of the time. Then he went on to say that with win98 on the same machine on a dual boot it worked perfectly.

win98 = smile

win2k = frown

blizzard = ;(

BTW the exact error I get is "The Latency of the Game Creator Is Too High"

The thing that bothers me about this the most is that if it were win98 having the problem it would be fixed by blizzard immediately. This whole "win2k not a gaming os" bullshit is just an excuse for lazyness. You figure that a developer ( who normally uses NT ) would develop their applications to work in win2k. Thats just my opinion. smile...

Well at least with xp all the "home users" and "Business users" will be in the same house.

It could be the game host's problem too..

I have a friend who is on T1 connection, usually he creates a public game, and i will join ASAP. However, if lots of people are joining at the same time, i will get that error message.

Not the host...

definetly win2k related.

After about 10 or so different hosts I figured that out.

Actually Its wierd if it happens one time then then all of them turn 6 red. And I have to rejoin battlenet. So its like I have to get lucky and join the first time.

But this is all said and done I know whats going on I just was hoping somebody had found or made a patch...

The answer is in the newsgroups. groups.google.com You can find at least 10 or more people who have confirmed this to be a problem with starcraft 1.08 on win2k.

In case anybody is wondering I found a patch that fixes this issue...

http://www.valhallalegends.com/sce.htm

Its a starcraft enhancement that adds some cool features to the game. Also fixes a couple of other bugs. This isnt supported by blizzard but starcraft works flawless for me now. There is also a registry patch there that allows you to choose from more battlenet chat servers.

"Bug where UDP thread terminated on destination port unreachable under Windows 2000"