Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pythagoras

XP gonna flop?

However, for those that do, they will find that more RAM will be a necessity for practical use. RAM is about the cheapest upgrade you can do to improve speed, and may be the best. At least with Win2k, getting more RAM did much more than a faster CPU.

All the games I had trouble with worked fine under 98 and 2000. It's been so long since I switched from ME to 2k, I've forgotten what it feels like to be booted back to the desktop for no reason whatsoever.

Even people that aren't technically savvy with PCs really don't like ME at all. I've had hardware that didn't function correctly sometimes in ME, yet as performed flawlessly in Win2k. Drivers that did come didn't solve problems either.

With Win2k, I don't have to do any tweaking to get it to run stable. I can't say the same about ME.

hey don't get me wrong I too like Win 2000. There is no doubt that for all around use win 2000 is more stable than ME.

As for the person that sugested that media probs may have been corelated w. Vid drivers... nothing like that. The prob was Win 2000 & nothing else. Everyone had the same troubles. Anyway, for game comp, that is easily solved. No big deal. But the point is, that we all had to spend countless hours searching in forums and wait weeks/months to fix all our probs w. Win 2000. At least among us pioneers that got it first. Basically the only way you can get full operation from Win 2000 with media & games is if you are an above avarage kido that is willing and able to hunt down the solution like most of us in here.

This was recognized by MS and that is why Win xp is needed and was released. No other reason. For people that are are not able/willing to spend time finding solutions to get stuf to work but want the win 2000 stability.

Ofcourse if you spent the time setting up win 2000 already & found te work arounds, xp wont do much for you, except maybe give youa better looking OP, even if not necessarily a better one.

Win XP, is Win 2000 without the hastle for media junkies. 8)

------------------------

Oh i forgot to mention, i found how to speed up XP. I was wrong about it n=being slow. I also went on the RAM bandwagon, but it wasn't it. The registry needs to be edited and the start menu shadow turned off. After that its almost too fast smile I actualy had to slow it down, no kidding! I got this solution from another post in here. Just so someone doesn't say i took credit for it, i wasn't the one who discovered the solution to XP being slow.

i dunno. i watch video files quite frequently using media player 6.4 (never liked that wmp 7 garbage) and never had any persistent stability issues. i had some issues once but i think that up[censored] the vid driver fixed it.

Actually, I thought most of the same things about XP until I actually installed it. It really isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. You can turn off/uninstall all the other crap you don't like about it(except WPA of course). It is a very fast OS. Boot up time is around 15 seconds for me, and even with the new UI and all sorts of graphical enhancements, it is quite a bit faster than 2K was.

Guys don't get me wrong so hear me out.

I'm a firm Windows 2000 Professional Supporter. I had the good fortune to win two full boxed retail copies of it from microsoft in the prerelease contest they had for it. laugh

I've used it almost exclusively since the day I got it in the mail.

To Me Windows XP is a more consumer friendly version of Windows 2000 with lots of very pretty eye candy to help win the average home pc user over, especially anyone who happens to like or use Macintosh Imacs or any Macintosh with the very visually pretty OSX on it.

while I hardly see the need for plunking down what it is going to cost for the upgrade version of win xp professional I'd highly recommend Windows XP Home to someone who has a machine it can run on with good performance and is tired of all the problems with windows98 SE or that horribly kludged Windows ME. Yes upgrading from Windows 9X to Windows XP could turn into a horrible nightmare, but I am sure that the upgrade version of WinXP Home will be the same as every other upgrade version of Windows that I've ever used in the past. In that it will let you do a clean install if you can show it that you do indeed have a previous version of the Windows OS when it searches for the upgrade qualifier.

I've been testing out a copy of Windows XP Professional RTM Corporate version (no activation) that I got from...*cough* *mumble* *cough* and so far I am very impressed with it's abilities to run programs that I could never get to work properly under windows 2000. I was very happy to find out that I could now get windows xp to run my favorite older FPS game "Shadow Warrior" just by changing some settings in the compatibility tab when i right clicked on the executable files for it.

In closing My humble opinion for windows xp flopping is... no way dude!!!

smilesmilesmile

Quote:
However, for those that do, they will find that more RAM will be a necessity for practical use. RAM is about the cheapest upgrade you can do to improve speed, and may be the best. At least with Win2k, getting more RAM did much more than a faster CPU.

Hey! How about expending one of these
200v.jpg
in 1GB of DDR-RAM? (50 €x4=200 € ($184 )
We're certainly going to need a lot of ram for running winxp at decent speed.