Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JBoDEAN

Best Defragger for WIN XP ???

What are all ofyou using? I am currently using PerfectDisk.

I think this is the best out there.

Any comments?

Norton Utilities/Systemworks 2002 has just been released, and is XP compatible.

Rgds

AndyF

Only thing good in NU2002 is disk doctor =< I dont trust the other stuff. Speeddisk is ok, but perfect disk i use, and its a lot better, especially for NTFS partitions

Quote:

Diskeeper 7 works flawlessly in XP

Diskeeper 7.0?? When it releases?
I just go to Diskkeeper websites and i can't see the link for the prodcuts that you described

Actually, using the build-in defragger is good enough, since it's the same Engine as Diskkeeper V6.0.

Quote:

Purchased/Downloaded Norton Utilities 2002 on Friday last week.
Every bit as good as earlier versions.

I could have hooked you up for free:D

Sorry für bringing this one up again, but could you please tell me, where to download norton utilities 2002 or the above mentioned PerfectDisk? smile

I'd stay away from NU. It has a nasty way of screwing up your system when it "repairs" things, especially when it comes to your registry.

Not every tool in NU is bad, but I still would avoid it if you just want the defragger.

Oh, and you will have to purchase NU or Perfect Disk when you d/l them...*hint*

I'm really impressed with Diskeeper 7. IMHO, it has finally reached the speed of Speedisk. 8) 8)

I've found with diskeeper 7, everytime i try to defrag my c drive (ntfs) says run checkdisk for inconsistienceies, EVERY TIME!

Anyone else getting this?

Very annoying

mad

Quote:

I'd stay away from NU. It has a nasty way of screwing up your system when it "repairs" things, especially when it comes to your registry.
Not every tool in NU is bad, but I still would avoid it if you just want the defragger.

Oh, and you will have to purchase NU or Perfect Disk when you d/l them...*hint*

hmmm. care to elaborate on which tools i should be careful with. i never trusted the windoctor with repairing my registry among other things. disk doctor and the speed disk seem ok.

Windoctor is the biggie, cuz it thinks things are a problem in your registry that a lot of times aren'T. Crash Doctor had a nasty tendancy to make you crash instead of preventing it. Wipeinfo could be dangerous if you use it on the wrong thing--especially if you use it on an important document.

If you want a defragger, just buy the defragger.

DK is good too. I'm running version 6 and it works great.

Just to make sure we're on the same page: Does it do that when you want to set up a boot-time defrag, or just the regular defrag within Windows?

JBoDEAN,

I have the same problem and traced it to my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard driver but I assume this also affects Soundblaster users. The driver also affects chkdsk/f at bootup when used to fix errors.

To fix the problem, temporarily disable your soundcard in device manager, proceed with defrag, then re-enable your soundcard.

Have SBLIVE

Didnt work

Still get.

Defragmentation of Charlie has been cancelled due to inconsistencies that were detected in the filesystem. Please run CHKDSK on Charlie © to repair these inconsistencies, then run Diskeeper again.

Have you tried doing a chkdsk /f? If you get a bsod while doing this take note of the offending driver. In my case it was tbcspud.sys which was my soundcard driver.

Couple of comments:

- I don't believe that Diskeeper 7 is a released software product. It is in all likelyhood still in beta mode.

- It is hard to compare defraggers for XP until all of the defrag vendors release versions of their defraggers that are OFFICIALLY compatible with XP. This includes PerfectDisk. While PerfectDisk will install and most of the features of PerfectDisk will work safely under Windows XP, PerfectDisk isn't offically compatible and there are some things that will not work - like boot time defragmentation on NTFS partitions.

- Just because a defragger installs and appears to run under Windows XP doesn't mean that they are "compatible" with Windows XP. For example, Windows XP uses a "prefetch" method of loading the drivers necessary for the boot process - dramatically speeding up the boot process. The Windows XP OS will on it's own put all of these files together in one place. It is up to commercial defraggers to either "honor" this file placement (which I don't believe that any released commercial defragger - including PerfectDisk - is currently doing) or to take over the automatic job of grouping these leaving these files grouped together and up[censored] the layout.ini file used by the WinXP pre-fetch mechanism.

I can't speak for other commercial defrag vendors, but a version of PerfectDisk that is officially compatible with Windows XP will be released around the time that Windows XP is officially released (end of October).

- Greg/Raxco Software

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk 2000, as a systems engineer in the support department.

diskeeper 7 is very nice. As always Executive Software makes great improvements with each version.

sounds cool used 6 its a great defrag program smile

so if there a link for Diskeeper 7 somewhere ?

really would like to use on xp

thx