Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sparkhard

Audigy.

Does anyone know if the Audigy sound cards work well in 2k? When i say work well i mean no ridden with problems.

any links where i can get info on the card (other than creative's site)

Thanks, SParkhard

I would certainly hope so. However, I'm sure there will be a few people that won't buy from creative again. I will probably avoid them also hearing so many complaints about their support for Win2k.

Other than creative's site, I haven't heard of anything. They should be coming out soon, so I'd expect some reviews soon:D

The new SB Audigy Platinum works perfectly out of the box! smile Put in the card and drive, pop in the cd and install and voila! No problems whatsoever to report. Sounds great and works great!

Still questions remain...

If I got a dollar for every post somebody ditched their SBLive! card because of support and other problems, I'd be stinkin' rich. Creative's lack of support will have an impact of some sort, as several people have vowed never to buy another Creative sound card.

I'd say there is a cautiousness from users who got burned from the poor support, and are wondering if Creative will pull this crap driver support later on.

I agree that many people were burned with Creative's lack of support for Win2k with the Live... but they finally did come through. I really believe that people who are still having problems are people with strange HW configs or are people who haven't reloaded their OS in a long time and have all kinds of old driver files. Windows is not the best OS in terms of changing hardware and then making sure that different driver file versions do not conflict with each other. I would be willing to say that probably 85-90% of people still having problems could be resolved by a simple OS reload. (I know that it isn't that simple of a process, but for argument's sake..) I've always been a fan of Creative sound cards and they have done quite abit for the sound card industry... just my 2 cents smile

Do the Audigy cards offer anything that is substantially better than an SB Live! I got a Live! Player 1024 and am quite happy with it. I used to love my SB AWE 64 too, but had to dump it due to lack of ISA support. I think I'll be sticking with my Live! until PCI sound is dead. I think my 4 speaker setup is just fine for Windows 2000, listening to MP3s, playing a few games, and working with Dreamweaver and Office 2k.

The biggest single new feature that I can think of is the new Firewire ports that it has on the "Audigy" drive (aka Live Drive) and on the back of the sound card. Although it still is a relatively new technology, it is in widespread use w/cameras and stuff and is a handy feature. The only other changes are the improved EAX which we'll probably start to see in new games; the 24 bit sound processing and the new sound processor which is claimed to be 4 times faster/better than the Live processor. The price was right for me so I went for it (Had the SBLive Platinum 5.1 which cost me $200 and this new setup was $175). There's another 2 cents... smile