Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CorSec

Game Redraw rate Bad but FPS is ok?

Every game I have tried Max Payne, Emperor:Battle for Dune etc.... even the

Aquarium Scrensaver looks like it`s jumping about frown (Well not quite jumping

but you get the drift). In games the FPS is fine but the redraw rate is terrible. It`s like watching Blur`o`Vision (Jump`O`Vision etc...) frown

I have tried most of the Nvidia drivers but no luck.

At the moment I`m using the 14.70 Drivers.

Any suggestions?

Thanx

CorSec

My system is:

AMD Approved Power Supply 300w

AMD Athlon 1.33Ghz 266Mhz FSB

512MB PC2100 DDR Ram

Gigabyte GA-7DXR Mainboard (AMD 761 Chipset + Via 686B

Southbridge)

IBM 7200RPM 46Gig Hard Drive (Primary Master)

Plextor PX-W1610TA (Primary Slave)

Toshiba DVD Rom SD-M1502 Drive (Secondary Slave)

Hercules Geforce 2 GTS 32MB AGP Graphics Card (With TV-Out)

SoundBlaster Live! Soundcard

3COM Etherlink Network Interface Card

Motorola Surfboard SB3100 Cable Modem

Agfa Snapscan e20 Scanner (USB)

Epson Stylus Color 880 Printer (USB)

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer Optical Mouse (PS2)

Microsoft Internet Keyboard (PS2)

Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro Joystick (USB)

CTX 1795 17" Monitor

Fuji Finepix 2200 2.1 Mega Pixel Digital Camera (USB)

Cooling - 2x80mm intake fans - 1x80mm exhaust fan + PSU fan

Alpha 6032 PALmfc Heatsink + Sanyo Denki 60mm fan (AMD

Approved)

Yep it`s something like that. Except nothing seems to crash just stutter all over the place frown in every game. The frames per second are fine, but the redraw is terrible.

You would think if the frames per second were all right it would be smooth?

Example: Max Payne = 60fps constant (checked ingame) but it`s just stuttering about.

CorSec

Note - I have not applied any refresh rate fix yet so all the games run at 60Hz hence the 60fps

Corsec : i was interested to read

Note - I have not applied any refresh rate fix yet so all the games run at 60Hz hence the 60fps

I have used nvrevfix , and i can still only get 60fps in openGL games......

is it becasue i am using the XP default monitor drivers ?

or is there something else to change in XP to increase my fps ....

on the same setup in 98 i get 72fps XP = 60fps

yer i did that a while ago..... after rechecking ...

i had to edit two keys .. not just the one ... ...

NV11_mode and NV11_opengl

works great now ..... 80fps in all opengl games

Q. Games stutter with my GeForce. How can I fix it?

Make sure you have the latest drivers installed.

Make sure that you have closed all programs before you start the game - press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and select all the programs one by one except 'Explorer' and 'Systray' and click 'End Task'. Even if a program says that it is 'Not Responding' after 20 seconds, you should still be able to close it. If the problem persists, switch off your screensaver and desktop background before starting the game.

Make sure that you have enough RAM free to run the game - try running a RAM recovery program before starting the game or putting some more RAM into your system.

If you are experiencing stuttering with Unreal Tournament or any games that use the Unreal Tournament engine, read the 'How can I speed up Unreal Tournament on my GeForce?' question first.

The following solution is outlined on this page:

http://www.daytonsmisc.com/article1.htm

Make sure that Video BIOS shadowing is disabled in your BIOS.

If you have a network card installed, try setting the connection type in the Network Control Panel from the automatic sensing option to the type of network that you use (10BaseT / 100BaseT, full / half duplex).

If your AGP Aperture is set to 256MB, try changing your AGP Aperture to another value (keep it above 16 as setting it at or below 16 will disable AGP)

Try ticking the 'Disable support for enhanced CPU instruction sets' box in the OpenGL tab of the NVIDIA Control Panel applet.

You may find that switching your desktop colour depth to 256 colours helps with stuttering problems.

You can try disabling auto-mipmapping in the NVIDIA control panel. This has helped some people with stuttering problems: however, it may result in reduced image quality and overall speed.

Quote:

Q. Games stutter with my GeForce. How can I fix it?
Make sure you have the latest drivers installed.

Make sure that you have closed all programs before you start the game - press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and select all the programs one by one except 'Explorer' and 'Systray' and click 'End Task'. Even if a program says that it is 'Not Responding' after 20 seconds, you should still be able to close it. If the problem persists, switch off your screensaver and desktop background before starting the game.

Make sure that you have enough RAM free to run the game - try running a RAM recovery program before starting the game or putting some more RAM into your system.

If you are experiencing stuttering with Unreal Tournament or any games that use the Unreal Tournament engine, read the 'How can I speed up Unreal Tournament on my GeForce?' question first.

The following solution is outlined on this page:
http://www.daytonsmisc.com/article1.htm

Make sure that Video BIOS shadowing is disabled in your BIOS.

If you have a network card installed, try setting the connection type in the Network Control Panel from the automatic sensing option to the type of network that you use (10BaseT / 100BaseT, full / half duplex).

If your AGP Aperture is set to 256MB, try changing your AGP Aperture to another value (keep it above 16 as setting it at or below 16 will disable AGP)

Try ticking the 'Disable support for enhanced CPU instruction sets' box in the OpenGL tab of the NVIDIA Control Panel applet.

You may find that switching your desktop colour depth to 256 colours helps with stuttering problems.

You can try disabling auto-mipmapping in the NVIDIA control panel. This has helped some people with stuttering problems: however, it may result in reduced image quality and overall speed.

dude, what u say makes sense but no sense to resolve this this, i run my puter while burning, icq, 5 instances of irc, and **** loads of stuff running and it's fine.. the problem is (for me) that it studders in the final code build, rtm.. whatever u wanna call it.. i've had nothing but good experience with my games with older builds.. i can everything while playing quake and still run smooth, but for some apparent reason this final code of winxp does not run my game well... i can disable everything it still studders.. i have 1gb of memory, running 1.33ghz amd overclocked to 1.5ghz, and it still does this.. so what ur saying does not resolve my situation at all..

well every game ive tried on XP runs sweet ...... you sure its XP ?

even paris to dakar runs great ... fps avg 80 all games

CRamaglia : atleast you tried to help .... i wouldnt waste my time next time m8 smile

Did you upgrade or clean installed ?

I clean installed RTM with 1GB Ram, Amd 1.33Ghz as well and it runs smoother then a baby's bottom.

My guess Is that you installed some kind of kunky driver or proggy somewhere that is ****ing it all up.

Try this (and I know it's a lot of work)

-clean install (with format)

-only install nvidia 12.41 drivers (for opengl support)

-install the games (no tweaks or whatever)

-try it

If it doesn't stutter then, try installing the rest of your drivers and progs (occassionally checking the game for performance).

If it does stutter, I'd take a decent look at your bios cause that aint normal.

You can also try disabling acpi. It sometimes does funky **** on some mainboard configs.

Hope this helps

first of all thanx for suggestions.. but one, i FRESH INSTALL my os all the time. never do i upgrade. second, when u install exactly , i mean exactly and if u didn't hear me the first two times, i mean exactly everything the same.. i'm happily running 2520 now with my games running just as smooth.. as was before..

phop

#software @ irc.infatech.net

Thanks everyone for your sugestions and advice. I have done some of what you all said and now my system is working like a dream smile

There was a program running in the background which wasn`t very compatible so it got removed and I also reinstalled the Nvidia 14.70 drivers.

I also installed the Nvidia Refresh Fix which helped a great deal.

Now my system is purring cool

WinXP Rocks!! (once you get it sorted out) wink

Again thank you all for your help.

Greatly Appreciated

CorSec

P.S. How do I get my desktop refresh rate to 100Hz? It only goes up to 85Hz. I have tried installing the CTX montor dirvers but no luck, any suggestions?

hiho

can u tell me what programm it was?

because i made a fresh install, done everything, but nothing changed.

CoolhandX: It was a program called PopupKiller which I probably shouldn`t have installed shocked

Anyway it kept checking to see if IE6 was running and any popups it could kill, unfourtunatly it did this every second or so and hogged the system when it did a check.