Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
oracle_master

Need help with my Redhat Linux 9 installation

Hi,

I'm really new to linux and this is the first time I'm installing it.

Basically heres what I did:

1. Dowloaded redhat linux 9.0 from redhat website (shrike-386-disk1.iso to disk3.iso)

2. Convert 3 iso's to CD image (cd 1 bootable).

3. Reboot my dell-4500 pc from CD 1

3. Installation went fine until it asked me whats my source and I specified CD but I got an error that CD image not found.

I have 2 disks, primary disk has Win XP installed and secondary disk is a new unpartitioned disk.

Can someone please help me and point me to the right direction.

Thanks in advance

This is not an uncommon issue. Make sure you try the following;

What cd burning software do you have? Did you choose "burn image" for all three disks?

What medium did you burn the images on, cdrw disks or cdr disks?

Make sure that you burn the images at a slow speed - such as 4X or 8x. The images do not burn correctly if they are burned at too high speed.

If you already did not...attempt the install with the same cdrw drive that you burned the images on. If you burned the images on a cdrw drive, then installed on another system, or using a cd drive for the install that is older, they sometimes have trouble with cd's burned on a newer cdrw drive.

Hi,

What cd burning software do you have? Did you choose "burn image" for all three disks? Yes, I did burn all 3 with cd images.

What medium did you burn the images on, cdrw disks or cdr disks? CDR

Make sure that you burn the images at a slow speed - such as 4X or 8x. The images do not burn correctly if they are burned at too high speed.

Yes, I did use 4x and I can read the CD in XP but not during Linux Install.

I only got to use the 1st CD and I was able to read it in XP, boot my machine using this CD and was able to run the installation except after select CD as my media it said it can't find the CD image.

Thanks

The reason that I asked what CD burning software that you used, is that burning cdr's with iso images can be confusing.

You do not choose any options to make the CD bootable, as the image burn will lay out the files and automatically make the cd bootable. For example, in Nero, you go to the file menu and just choose the "burn image" option.

It is interesting that you got part of the way into the install, until it failed.

What can happen is getting a bad download of the iso image. Not common, but it happens. The system will boot the cdr, but fail at some point during the install.

Did you verify the iso's that you downloaded (that the checksum was OK)?

The other possibility is a funky cdrom drive. If you have 2 drives, one a cdrw and the other a cdrom, try the install using the other drive. The RedHat installer may have a problem identifying/recognizing the cd drive.

Have you burned an iso image before and tried an install of any other Linux distro?

Even if you burn the image correctly, if you get a bad download, then XP will read the files, but this does not tell you if all the files are really burned to the disk intact. It may look ok (you see a list of directories and filres when you view the disk), but the download resulted in incomplete (bad) iso image and image burn.

A common mistake is just to burn the iso as a data cd, which does not sound like this is what you did.

The last thought is trying to create an image from the iso to the hard drive, then burning that image to a cdr (such as creating a nero image). The original iso image should be directly burned to the cdr.

I have the same problem. The CD's all are burned correctly.

But look at the files in /Redhat/base, they are bad! Just try to open the xml file. My guess is what's in there prevents installation from proceeding.

So either the files were bad at the download site at that time. Or if you *pay* for CD's you'll get *good* files.

Maybe someone knows where we can get the files that go in "base" (comps.rpm, compls.xml, hdlist, hdlist2, hdstg2.img, netstg2.img, stage2.img, trans.tbl).

when you say "burned correctly" do you mean you actually checked the md5sum of the

ISO files before you did the burn? and there were no errors during the burn?

If you mean only that there were no errors during the burn, you can't be so

certain you've made good discs.

After you've verified the md5sums of your ISO files, check to see if there's an

option when you do your image burn to enable/disable padding or if there's an

option to do track-at-once (TAO) burning instead of disc-at-once (DAO).

If you have your burning software add padding to a disc image already mastered

with padding then you'll only create spoiled media. Conversely, you may need to have

your burning software add padding to an image mastered without.

Originally posted by martouf:

Quote:
when you say "burned correctly" do you mean you actually checked the md5sum of the

ISO files before you did the burn?

Thanks, that's it. Bad download of iso - I got someone else's RDL 9 CD's and it works.

P.S. in doing reading at the RH site, and if it is a CDROM problem, you might try at the boot: prompt "linux hdx=cdrom" where x is:

a-primary ide, master

b-primary ide, slave

c-secondary ide, master

d-secondary ide, slave

Or if you have a different controller, you may need to load drivers first.