Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jeff123df2

win2k share not accessible

This is between my win2k server and a 98 machine on my network.

Well, here is the issue:

I boot up do whatever go in my mapped drive fine, relax listen to music from it for a while and then about an hour or so, when i sit idle or browse websites not touching the server, i go back to it and it says not accessible, access denied.

This is what I've tried:

I've emptied everything from the network dialog box on both machines and put it all back in a few times.

I had a linksys card in my win98 comp that i took out and replaced with my good old 3com card before i last re-format, but i still have the same prob.

It doesnt happen to every computer over the network, my server seems to pick on me the most lol. Although it did happen to one other computer a couple times.

Is there some kind of default connection time-out setting for win2k which boots me after time?

I dont have any service packs on my server, and its been up for so long im a little scared to put it on lol

Im starting to reconsider now though..

what do you think?

I used to have:

client for microsft networks

ipx/spx

tcp/ip

and file and print sharing

although i had to take ipx out because when i click to open the mapped drive it would hang forever causing a crash.

I'm now using:

client for microsft networks

TCP/IP

File and print sharing

When i get access is denied, i can still ping it of course lol

--doesn't crash windows now that ipx is gone anymore.

If you do install service packs, it's ideal to do it upon a clean install and put on the latest service pack available. Unless it's something critical, it's highly recommended that you not install a service pack unless it's right after a clean install. If you've been keeping up on the critical updates and security patches, I'd wait until you have to do a clean install and then put on the service pack.

I'm not a networking guru like clutch, so this is a plain guess.

Have you set up your permissions under the administrator account, NOT under a user with admininstrative privileges?

I've noticed that 98, and 9x for that matter, don't always work perfectly on the network, at least in my experience. I'm sure there is a solution, but I'd post it if I knew about it.

it is weird, i have created the account using the original adminstrater built-in account in win2k, but another thing it only happens after i use the share, for example listen to music off the server. If i boot up and dont go in there, i will be able to access the share later on.

but after using it, it seems to deny access afterward sometime later.

clutch do you happen to know what the problem could be?

Here's what you hafta do......

1. Get on the Win2k machine

2. Add a new user, give whatever permissions you would like, but don't make a password.

3. Put the user in whatever group you want.

4. Go to the Windows 98 Machine

5. Go to Control Panel

6. Go to Network

7. Choose Client For Microsoft Networking

it will ask you to reboot, go ahead and do so

8. When it boots up, you should have a screen that says Log On As: and Password:

9. For the username, put in whatever name thats on the Win2k account you created. Leave the password blank.

10. Login to the computer, you should now be able to share.

my only protocall is tcp/ip now.

Maybe this is some kind of netbios connection time-out issue with the server, which causes the server to deny access after being used?

(This problem is a first for me)