Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nobleknight

Mouse acceleration problems in CS

This sucks, this thread was started over a month ago and still no solution.... frown

the mouse acceleration itself is ok for me, u can turn it off with the -noforcemparms command,

but my bigest problem is the lag that the keyboard and mouse often experence

this is for the hl engine in xp only

dunno about other games.

ie when walking forward and strafing the mouse seams 2 halt and stop, which tends 2 be annoying when u are trying 2 aim at someone.

so i have since turned back 2 2k for this reason alone

i really wish valve or micrsoft would fix this or if even someone found a hack / patch 2 fix it

same thing happened to me, when i pressed the keyboard key and move my mosue, my mouse would halt for short while.

i cant remember what i did to fix it, but ive just re-installed xp again, damn i forgot all about that.

ifi figure it out again, i'll let ya know

I already fixed it, for some reason the alt tab program that comes with powertoys does it, so just end task the process "fastswitch.exe"

Theres a fix for it on the windows update site. It's a mouse driver update and has fixed the problem for me smile

I've also installed IntelliPoint 4.01 alongside the update to ensure good working + to get the thumb buttons going again ;(

Hey bilston you wouldn't happen to have a link to that "mouse driver update"? I've been to windows update many many times over the last month or so, and even checked the windows update catalog, and unless I just overlooked it, I dont recall ever seeing any type of mouse driver update there frown

Hmm, that is weird because it definately appeared there. What mouse do you have? I have the IntelliMouse Optical.

I've had a look around the Microsoft website but can't find a direct link to the updated drivers unfortunately.

Microsoft Mouse Driver Version 4.00.0.657 is what they are if you want to have a look around.

Thanks alot bilston for looking into that for me! smile

I've got an MS intellimouse USB and I checked the driver version of it and it's driver version is 4.0.0.657 so maybe I did find it some time ago and just didn't realize it shocked One thing I have noticed is that in the 2 months that I have used XP it seems as though over time the mouse seems to feel the way I had liked it to feel like it did when I used 98, 98se, and ME. But I have a feeling that I have just gotten used to the way the mouse feels now over time from using it so much. I dont really know though since I haven't played any games on any system with an OS of something other than XP.

Anyone know if this acceleration problem also affects UT?

A friend of mine just bought a laptop with XP. We played UT over a lan with 6 players, and he just plain did _bad_. He was hosting, too, so I figured he must just've been having a bad day.

So, XP has mouse acceleration BEFORE mouse drivers can even affect it?!?

Next time he comes over, I'll test his mouse and see if the windows update we did afterwords got rid of the acceleration as Bilston suggested it might.

Maybe direct input (the UT option) might help, but normally it's buggy unless used in Win9x.

If it's still accelerated, will the modifiers -noforcemparms and similar ones work for UT as well? Are they Half life or XP modifiers?

Are there any truly solid solutions to this prolem?

Try grabbing hold of the Det 21.85's m8.

There was also a link that someone posted, that showed many different solutions to combatting this damn annoying problem. I'll have a look for it.

I tried all those and it seemed to reduce the problem but not eliminate it.

It seems to be just a bunch of theories.

As well as the ones above, I've heard a lot of others including:

[*]use 16-bit colour in OpenGL

[*]Update the mouse drivers

[*]hl.exe -console -noforcemparms -noforcemaccel -zone 4096 +voice_dsound 1

[*]Turn off "smooth mouse" in half-life settings

[*]Use 60hz regresh rate in games.

[/list:u]

I *may* have fixed the problem. I keep thinking it is gone but it sneaks up on me again after a few days. Anyway it is at a minimum now.

Even though the problem seems to be caused by XP's new mouse system, because it really only effects quake engine games, Hopefully Valve will adress this issue in the next Half-Life Update.

I've only had problems with the Logitech iFeel USB mouse. I didn't install the Logitech Mouseware, only the drivers part. Still acts weird, even on the desktop, not in games.

Downgraded to an old MS Wheel Mouse PS/2 and the problems went away smile

acctually 2 be more accurate from my understanding it was built on the quake world engine.

Quote:

Half-Life is ran on a heavily modified Quake2 engine :]

Actually it uses a heavily modified Q1 engine. But who cares?

Carl

I read that it was a hybrid of the two, so which is it? Anyone got an old article to clarify it?

Like I said hl uses a heavily modified q1 engine. When valve starting developing hl back in late 96 / early 97 they started with the q1 engine and developed that heavily, they may have taken some ideas and concepts from the q2 engine but they never applied for the license. Check the copyright on the original hl box for the id license. It's dated 1996 at which time only the q1 engine was around as the q2 engine didn't become available till very late in 97.

This is a review stating "There's nothing exceptional about the engine--it's a heavily modified version of Id Software's Quake" : http://pc.ign.com/articles/153/153107p1.html