Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarU

Clutch...and other network gurus...

hey guys...i have a little problem. I am migrating a novell/groupwise 5.5 network to a Win2k/Exchange 2000 network. My question is, how do i migrate the NAB's (novell address books) created in groupwise into Microsoft Outlook? I need to copy all of my users' contact lists into outlook. Im sure there has to be a way, but the obvious way: file --> import --> blah blah does not work because novell/groupwise is not one of the options. Clutch, or other network guys, got any suggestions? Has anyone ever done this before? Thanks in advance.

Well, just so you don't think you are being left out in the cold, I am looking into this. I haven't had to do this, and I haven't messed with Novell in quite a while. The only link I have found so far on migrating to Exchange is more around developing the team to do it rather than a walk-through. If I find more info, I will post it.

Thx clutch, i really appreciate it. I am absolutely stumped. Been working on it all day today...

Well, I'm really taking a shot in the dark on this, as I really have no idea but this might work. You said you can do an import but novell groupwise is not an option. Does novell itself have an export to go into something you can use? It would require an extra step, but it just might work. Even a text based file should work, as I've seen exchange 5.5 can import an plain text file with a little cleanup. I'm sure 2k can handle that also.

Like I said, I haven't had to try it, but maybe it will get you on the right track.

-RY

I can't seem to find any how-tos on the subject, but there is software out there to ease the burden. You can check out NetIQ's offering at:

http://www.netiq.com/solutions/windows/default.asp

and see what they can do to help out. It would seem that Novell Groupwise would have some ability to export your email account info to some sort of basic format as Ryoko stated, but that may be quite cumbersome depending on the amount of accounts you are dealing with.

Thx a lot for trying to help me on this guys. Well, after many many hours of researching and playing with these things, i finally figured it out. I'll tell you what i did so that if this ever comes up again we know how to fix it. Anyways, ryoko..you were on the right track. You have to export the .NAB files as *.nab format. Then when you import from outlook, you have to select: import from another file or program --> Comma Seperated Value (Windows) --> browse to where you exported the NAB file and select it --> click next until you get the option to modify the fields to fit the new outlook fields. Then click okay --> click finish and you should be good to go. There were some slight formatting problems...basically it was just a little ugly. To fix that, i opened the CSV files in Excel and modified the way it looked a little.

Thank you very much for looking into this. I really appreciate it.