Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cymru83

Installing Mandrake 10

Hi guys

I currently have a PC running Windows XP Home. I have the hard drive split into 2 (120GB - 80GB C drive and 40GB D). I have windows installed on C and documents (mp3s and uni work) on D.

I want to move the documents onto C, and then install Mandrake 10 onto D. How easy is this?

I don't want to do any damage to the Windows installation, and when finished I want to be able to easily boot either installation.

Thanks

Jon

Quote:
Hi guys

I currently have a PC running Windows XP Home. I have the hard drive split into 2 (120GB - 80GB C drive and 40GB D). I have windows installed on C and documents (mp3s and uni work) on D.

I want to move the documents onto C, and then install Mandrake 10 onto D. How easy is this?

I don't want to do any damage to the Windows installation, and when finished I want to be able to easily boot either installation.

Thanks

Jon

Is any part of the Windows stuff on D: ? Are there any programs installed on D: ? If there is nothing there but data that you created, then you should have no problem. Be sure to backup as much as you can before starting. 8)

There should be no problem even if you repartiting the drive C (using the free area of drive C to install linux). So it would be much easier, and won't give you any problem (I hope) if you install linux on any other partition and not touching the win partition.