Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spejbl

full disk in MDK9.1 ?

Hello, I've installed MDK9.1 week ago and to yesterday everything was alright. Tody a try to start computer and after LILO in booting part there was information printed that my disk (partition / ) is full and my X didn't started. Please help me my disk can't be full I'm sure with it. When I delete anything the disk is still full so I think it is some error but where? I'm sure that I didn't make any change in linuxconf or something like it from yesterday to today. Can anyone help me?

How big is your hard drive? Your disk may not be full, but that particular partition may be. Did you create a /home partition? Or just a / partition? How are you deleting files from it? Can you get a prompt? Have you been downloading files or have you run an update with yum/apt/red-carpet recently? Sometimes you have to eliminate more than just a few files before it will be alright again.

If you can't get to a prompt to check and/or delete info off of that partition you may have use a rescue or a live cd rescue. 9.1 comes with rescue on cd 1. Just put the first install disk in, and follow the on screen instructions to go into rescue mode. I believe, like with RedHat, you can mount you Hard Drive files by going:

mount /mnt/sysimage

There should be instructions along the way on how to do it though. I haven't rescued in Mdk for a while so I'm a little fuzzy on how Mdk does it.

Are you by chance dual booting with Windows? If you can get a copy of Partition Magic going, you can check how full your Linux partitions are with that.

My hard drive is small (4GB) I have three partitions 1) / (root) 2) swap 3) /home. I've alocated 2,2 GB for / , something about 300MB for swap and the other space for /home. No other system (windows). Last two days I used Mandrake only to programming in C (KEdit for writing) and Rxvt.

I can get prompt after about 3 tries of my Linux to get to X.

I'm sure that before yesterday's shuting down of my computer there was at least 300MB free on /. Today - nothing. I'm deleting files with rm. I've just deleted some *zip files which I don't need. I;ve deleted about 30 MB and nothing have happened. Disk is full.

Linux says that only / is 100% used. /home is only 13% used

I would be willing to bet that the problem is that your / partitions is really stuffed, and you must remove even more from it to get things going again. I have had this problem on my 6 gig box more than once. I would start uninstalling packages using either

rpm -e

for ones you've installed yourself, or uninstall packages with urpmi. You may have to do some drastic slashing before things get freed up again. CAUTION: do not rm folders of apps, otherwise rpm -e will not know how or where to delete those particular packages. Only use rm as a last resort. What DE are you using? Gnome? KDE? a quick fix might be to uninstall Gnome and/or KDE and just use IceWM. That should free up a lot of space. Then you can rebuild.

Another option may be to do a complete re-install, only this time, give even more space to / and take it away from /home. That way, if your /home partition gets too full and you run into this same problem, you can transfer some of your home files to cd or a reader/writer stick and be back in action. Hope this helps you.

I'll try rpm -e

but tell me how can I uninstall this way for example GNOME (I'm using KDE).

rpm -e <what?>

and what about dependencies?

I don't think you can get rid of either of those with rpm -e. I believe you'll have to do it via urpmi. I'll have a look on my Mandrake box, find out, and get back with you on this, unless someone else reading this thread can tell us how before I get back to you. In the meantime, if you have any rpms that you installed, and you don't mind un-installing them until you can get enough space to maneuver, I'd be doing that. smile

I agree with the statement that the disk will not be full, because my / partition is only 200 MB, and just lke spejbl I only using Mdk-9.1 in my box.

But spejbl, can you show me the result from command:

$ df

It will tell us how full is your harddrive.

I've solved the problem. there was 300MB .xsession-errors file in my /root directory :-) I didn't see it before because dot is at the start of it's name. Yesterday I used find / -size +102400k and only one file was bigger (.xsession-errors). I was too lazy to open it so I deleted it and everything is alright now.