Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
thefrog

mp3s & red hat 9.......where are them?

hi guys!

I'v red hat 9 and now that I succeeded in sharing a 16Gb partition with my mp3s I cannot listen to them as linux says that, due to something I don't remember the support for mp3s has been removed by red hat.........ARE THEY CRAZY?

what do I have to do to be ableto listen my mp3s?

thanks a lot

Federico

Italy

Are you using Xmms? The default player for RH 9 is actually Xmms, but there are others. When I used RH 9, I got the same error. All I did was download and install the Xmms-mp3 plugin and everything worked normally. The reason the Linux distros are backing off of mp3 support on their players has to do with, (as always) patents and copyrights. You may want to consider using .ogg in the future which is the open source equivalent of mp3. To my very trained ears, ogg sounds a little better than mp3 when sampled at similar rates.

the promblem is I have tons of mp3s...........

as soon as I have a little time I'll install the pakage you suggested and I'll make you know how it has gone....

Quote:
Are you using Xmms? The default player for RH 9 is actually Xmms, but there are others. When I used RH 9, I got the same error. All I did was download and install the Xmms-mp3 plugin and everything worked normally. The reason the Linux distros are backing off of mp3 support on their players has to do with, (as always) patents and copyrights. You may want to consider using .ogg in the future which is the open source equivalent of mp3. To my very trained ears, ogg sounds a little better than mp3 when sampled at similar rates.

Dapper, I don't use mp3's, but I've read questions similar to this several times now. Is there any program that can convert mp3 format to ogg? If so, that might solve some problems... ;(

Quote:
I'm fairly certain there is. Hold on and I'll do a quick Google...

http://linux.oldcrank.com/tips/mp3ogg/

There are many more out there, but this looks to be the easiest way... smile

I checked it out. It looks good, and it's a script, (easier to modify, if needed) it won't do me much good - I have 0 (zero) mp3's, but maybe it will help others like thefrog... 8)

The site that is above doesnt work!!

I'm a DJ for and Internet Radio Station and I would like to play music Straight from my sever. My server uses Redhat 9 and has XMMS already installed. I like to use Mp3's but it says that DUM warning!! If u could help me, Please do!!

DJminiMe

If you have apt-get RPM installed from FreshRPMS, all you have to do is download the xmms-mp3 plugin. If you don't have apt-get RPM installed, download it here, and install it. After it is installed, do as root:

apt-get update [enter]

Do the above a second time. Then go:

apt-get install synaptic [enter]

After it installs, just type:

synaptic

as root and hit enter, and the synaptic front end to apt-get RPM will come up. Then search for xmms-mp3, and install it, it's pretty intuitive. Then go into XMMS options and disable the placeholder mp3 thingy, and enable mp3 plugin and you should be in business. Any questions, let me know..

Thanks for ur help

But...

Do you have any idea how to get my music broadcasted??

All I Want to do is not to play music to the soundcard but.. to the server and out to the world!

thanks if u can....

DJminiMe

Ok then

I'll just keep looking on GOOGLE.com and I'll just see what we can find

Thanks (I know the MP3's now work)

DJminiMe

How about posting your findings back here to share with the rest of us. I'd like to know how to stream audio with Linux too! smile

ok

Ya i think I have IceCast. I might need to find a type of documentation to read on!

DJminiMe

XMMS has an own icecast plugin to stream the songs directly to the icecast server - but this plugin is very buggy.

I always used icecast2 with muse-streamer. It isnt that comfortable like xmms, but works without any problems.

Greetz