Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Ok guys do you like and use WindowsXP and if so why?

LIKE:

Improved application compatibility over W2k.

Fast boot times (especially compared to W2k).

Comes with working WDM drivers for the SBLive (with 4+ speaker support = no need to install LiveWare :)).

Vastly better than W9x/ME.

Removes any need to dual boot W9x/ME.

DISLIKE:

The fact that Microsoft assumes that XP Pro users are going to want to have stupid things like simple networking turned on by default. It takes a while hunting in the options to turn all of these "features" off.

Can't have preview pane in explorer at the same time as the folder list and even then it only shows pictures, not videos.

Product activation.

OVERALL:

For people still using W9x/ME, it's a fantastic upgrade.

For people using W2k, it doesn't offer much that W2k doesn't already do.

I agree. I don't see anything XP really offers me over 2k except a headache and frustration. For a newbie, sure, XP is great, but for me I find it more difficult to do things because I have to find where MS put it this time.

Product Craptivation: I do not like being told or spied on. I will upgrade my computer however and whenever I please. It's a pain in the neck, not to mention an issue with my privacy.

Integrated Firewall: Hmm, nice guesture, but I'm sorta leery about a firewall from MS, as security breeches come to mind.

XP is what MS should've done earlier: use the NT, or another stable code, for both home and professional OS's.

I will stick with Win2k,thank you. I'm gonna explore other OS's to fool with. Hello FreeBSD! Meet VMware.

Okay, have you ever shared a folder in XP? If simple networking is turned on, instead of giving you the ability to define whether or not each individual user can read/write or have full control as in Win2k, XP will give you 2 options:

Allow all users to view the contents of this directory

-or-

Allow all users to modify the contents of this directory

Personally I don't like this; it's fine for the Home version of XP, but it really shouldn't be in the Professional version. Fortunately it can be turned off if you know where to look - it's in the folder options control panel.

Ah I see thanks alot, I turned it off immediately. I was wondering how I would share a folder so only I would have full access to it from my 486 with win2k (a server and dont laugh it has lots of ram 24).

I like winXP a little more now.

Okay back to topic, one thing I also like is it empties the recycle bin immediately instead of waiting 3 secs as it did in win2k.

The quick logon time is also very nice.

What I dont like is when I shut down, it takes a while then it says "now its safe to turn off your computer". Why dont it turn it off immediately?

And my GTXP dont work right either, even after decreasing my ram to 256. Exiting quake 3 sometimes freezes the whole system withouth even a BSOD.