Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
whoisurdaddy

Patches and Blue Screen at bootup

This is strange. I just reinstalled Windows 2000 Professional and installed some security patches in addition to Service Pack 2 and now I am getting blue screen of death right after Windows 2000 Professional screen at the startup. It said something about KMODE exception not handled or something like that. Here is what happened:

1. I installed Windows 2000

2. Installed all the drivers for my hardware

3. Installed Office

4. Upgraded my IE to 5.5 SP2

5. Played some Counter-Strike

6. Went to http://www.microsoft.com and clicked on "Scan your system" to see if there is any security holes in my system (the site made me download some software in order to run scan on my system)

7. Downloaded some patches recommended from "Scan your system"

8. Restarted my computer (everything is fine up to here)

9. Went back to "Scan your system" thing on Microsoft web site (I downloaded the software to scan my system again)

10. Trying to follow the recommendation made by "Scan your system" I went to Local Security Policy > Local Policies > Security Options and changed Additional Restrictions for anonymous connections to "No access without explicit anonymous connections"

11. Restarted my computer

Then my Win2k refused to take me to Log-in screen. I get Blue screen everytime right after Win2k Professional logo screen and right before Log-in screen. I've tried doing "Last known successful bootup" thing and it didn't do anything. I've tried booting up with Win2k CD and tried repair Win2k and it didn't help either. So I had to reinstall Win2k again. Right now everything is working fine except without the patches recommended by "Scan your system" thing on Microsoft web site. I think one or more of the patches screwed up my Win2k before. This is the same type of problem I had after installing Code Red virus patch 3 weeks ago before I went with Windows XP. So my question is is there any other way to recover Win2k? Has anyone here experienced the same problem I mentioned above?

Hmmm... Try this repair option: Boot off Win2k CD--like you would to install, choose repair instead of install, choose manual repair and then tell the machine you don't have a repair disk by hitting 'L'. Make sure all three options are checked and let it run. Stay by the pc, as you'll probably have to verify changing files to the original ones or skip them.

Hehe...if I get the same blue screen again, I will try your method. I have tried something like that except I did Auto instead of Manual. This is so strange. I have been running Win2k ever since it got out and I have never experienced this kind of problem with my Intel system. My system seemed stable up to Win2k Service Pack 2. Patches like Code Red and other ones are giving me the problems. Well...those patches installed ok and my system runs fine after installing them but the problems started when I mess around with my system like installing Divx codecs or using a program that changes system registry.

Ahh yes, the ol' registry. Amazing how something gets outta whack with it and your system is shot. Lovely.

Well good luck. I feel your pain.

I have a verry similar situation found this thread through a search, maybe this info may help you and maybe someone can use it to fix our problem

yesterday I went to windows update and there was the Windows 2000 Security Rollup Package jan. 2002 so I installed it and the last part of the install there was a page with a "reboot now" box that was checked and greyed out so I clicked next expecting an automatic reboot......nope just went to the desktop so I rebooted manualy and got to the same point,(logo screan with almost all the progress bar completed) and bam ***stop 0x0 ect..... KMODE_execption...ect. , no file listed frown this happens on every normal boot atempt

I can get in fine in safe mode/safemode with networking/ and the kicker debuging mode confused in debuging mode all drivers apear to load all my startup programs load it apears to be identical to a normal boot confused , from what I understand debigging mode just sends info to another computer through serial port (I do not have such connected)

I tried uninstalling the security rollup no change (the error is identical every time including the adress) I reinstalled the security rollup, (goot a good reboot this time) no change, disabled my mouse, no good, (installed new earlier that morning but it rebooted fine after thiat until I did the update)

1. what is diffrent about debuging mode? if I knew this it may help me to repair

2. any idea on a fix?

thank you for your time smile