Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Seducer

Win2KPro & XP & win98 cannot internet? help!

I have 5 machines at home and wired, 1 was for win2k Server, 1 NT workstation, 1 for XP Pro, 1 win2k pro and 1 win98.

I already enable the internet sharing in win2k server and the server is connected to my ISP. But only NT workstation can surf the net while the others cannot. I dont have any firewall installed in all machines. All machines can PING with each other. Files and Folders sharing was OK...meaning the connections was OK.

Where do i start troubleshooting this kind of problems guys?!!

any ideas???

TX

im using a 3COM SUPER STACK II 10/100 switch....no router...my modem is US Robotics 56K Message Modem.

my nt workstation can surf the net

why dont you try wingate? pro proxy (i dont know what version). anyway it seems strange that the network is working and internet connection sharing not. maybe you have some protocols or service disabled. just look again.

If you are using ICS, then I think it is necessary.. or at least recommended.. to have two NICS in your server, as enabling ICS institutes the NAT routing service in your server. I never had much luck with ICS to tell you the truth. I much more prefer setting up NAT manually in the Routing and Remote Access utility from the Admin tools. That works REALLY well when done right.

Not entirely sure if this is the reason for your problem since your NT workstation can still surf the net. You could try configuring DHCP on your server, and setting up the rest of your computers to obtain their TCP settings automagically from the server.. thus ensuring they have correct settings.

If all else fails, save up $90 and buy yourself a personal router/firewall. They kick butt. Using a hub instead of a switch really wont do anything as far as sharing the internet. A switch builds a table within itself which shows every packet going into it exactly which port to blast out of, where as a hub simply blasts every packet out of every port, hoping that it will find the destined computer. So as you can see they perform the same function, in different ways. Switches are generally better for a consistently high network speed, as bandwidth is not hogged up by packets sent out of unessecary ports.

Also, have you checked your DNS settings on your non-working machines? It would be possible to ping all the machines just fine, but not be able to get on the internet if you have not entered the DNS servers in the problem machines... or entered them incorrectly. This is why I would suggest using DHCP to troubleshoot the problem. Also make sure that on your problem machines you specify the correct IP address you are using for the internet gateway. If you are using two NICS in your server, then this IP address would be the address of the network card connected to your network, which in turn through NAT is connected to the internet.

Hope this helps..

Atreyu....

i already tried setting up DHCP and obtain their TCP settings automagically from the server and also their DNS....i tried all !!!!

I donno whats wrong with this...im planning to reinstall again the server side...but i still have to leave it for troubleshooting purposes...maybe we can still finds some solutions by then...but not reinstalling...HEHEHEHE

Thanks