Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
charanos

configuring CD RW

Greetings

Can anyone assist me, a totally green user, to get my Mandrake 9.0 to recognise my CD RW?

Its an LG brand GCE-8160B, which is listed as ompatible My other CD ROM is being read, but not my CD Burner. You'll have to spell it out for me, as I not use to command lines yet! Muchos gracias. ;(

What's it doing? What's the error? Remember, when using IDE CD burners you have to use SCSI emulation (either compiled in the kernel, which would mean a small addition to your boot loader text file, or the "ide-scsi" module has to be loaded if it was compiled as a module) in order for them to work.

Shouldn't it work as a regular CD reader without all that ide-scsi stuff though?

I'm guessing the automount configuration for that drive is jacked which could be indicative of a problem further down below.

Not necessarily. If the kernel has it compiled in, or there is a module loaded (check using lsmod, you might have to be root/su to use it) for ide-scsi then you will get errors trying to mount the CD-ROM. It will be something like "can't load device, bad filesystem, bad block, blah blah, btw, could this be a SCSI device?". And yeah, that's heavily paraphrased smile. So, if the module is loaded but you aren't using /dev/scd0, /dev/scd1, etc. then you will get that error. It's an all or none affair.

ok... so throw me in the deep end eh???

here goes.....

harddrake lists the LG CD burner at /dev/scd0

Bus: SCSI

Location on the bus: 0 :2

capacity: burner

channel: 00

New devfs device: scsi/host0/bus0/target2/lun0/cd

Old device file: /dev/scd0

host: 0

info: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8160B

Lun: 00

Media class: cdrom

raw_type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision

lsmod does list ide-scsi

but I cant seem to configure the XMMS to read /dev/scd0

i see it but it doesn load

thanks fr yr time

;(

Further to problems with my CD Rom setup...

Im also having trouble with my CD Rom (the other one, not the CD burner)

Its an ACER CD 652A

The problem is that I can only listen to audio CDs at a tiny volume!

The CD Rom installs discs, and will rip Audio CDs to ogg format, where they sound fine on XMMS, Koatan, etc

However, I can get hardly any volume at all when trying to listen to an audio cd directly, eg in XMMS. Meanwhile my system notifications sounds are blowing my eardrums out!!!

Aumix all volumes are set at 100%

KMix volume set at full

1. harddrake lists CD Rom at /dev/hdb

Bus: ide

channel: secondary

New devfs device: ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd

Old device file: /dev/hdb

Media class: cdrom

2. My soundcard is

Silicon Integrated Systems 7018 PCI Audio

Alternative drivers: trident

Bus: PCI

Bus identification: 1039:7018

Description: 7018 PCI Audio

module: snd-trident

media class: MULTIMEDIA AUDIO

This card currently uses the ALSA snd-trident driver,

(the default driver for this card is snd-trident )

K>config>KDE>info>sound.....

Sound driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v0.9.0rc2 emulation code)

config options: 0

installed drivers:

type 10: ALSA emulation

card config:

SiS SI7018 PCI Audio a5t 0xd800, irq 11

audio devices:

0: Trident 4DWave (DUPLEX)

Syhth devices:

not enabled in config

midi devices:

0: MPU-401 (UART)

timers:

7; system timer

0; mixer00

cheers,

Charanos

;(

ok..... I finally realised I had to enter /dev/scd0 as the device name and /mnt/cdrom2 as the directory name into the configuration for XMMS, Kscd, etc. Volume is fine.

I still cant get any volume from the ACER cdrom, but at least I can listen to CDs on my CD Burner

thanks fr yr help

laugh

I have an LG burner which works well with Mandrake 9.0, I also have a LG DVD/CDROM both of which are IDE. I do have problems with them which is a know problem with the Super/Automount feature in Mandrake 9.0. I would do some reading at the www.mandrakeusers.org site on it, there is a bundle of info there. I doubt it is kernel problem or module problem. Mandrake 9.0 will detect the drivers during the installation and you will not have to manually do anything once installed, unless you messed the installation up.

Yes, I have a both digital audio and regular audio cable from both DVD and CDRW, going to my sound card. You will have no audio without them. Is your audio volume the same when you play an audio CD and when you download an MP and play it in XMMS ?