Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spejbl

Mandrake 10 / wait or not?

Hello,

I'm not very advanced user and I want install on my computer Linux Mandrake 10. May I better wait until May for official version or can I use Community Edition? Are there any fatal errors or gaps in CE?

Funny you should post this as I just burned the ISOs this morning and am testing it right now. So far, 10 found and configured all my stuff, which Mdk 9.1 nor 9.2 would. The interface is very clean and intuitive, and the install was a snap. Unlike the trouble I'm having with the 2.6 kernel with Fedora, mouse movement is smooth and predictable. It's way to early to tell, but so far I'm... well, downright exited! I loved Mdk 9.0 and detested 9.1 and 9.2. It is my fervent hope that 10.0 is as rock solid as 9.0., but it'll take a little more time to tell. smile

ive been reading through forums and one problem i saw a few times was the fdisk didnt work properly or something and they lost their windows xp and stuff... mightve just been their fault, but ya never know...

Mandrake 10 RC1 has been rock solid for me. I agree. The mouse issue is gone.

Also, all the mandrake 9 packages that I have installed work fine.

Cooker, as well.

i think u mean cd instead of ce...

anyways, i dont belive mandrake cd is free, if you want the cd's you must purchase them... but if you want it free just download and burn the iso's (sure its a pain waiting so long.. but its free!!)

Since I'm a member of Mandrake Club, I get to download the Mdk 10 ISO's free. I downloaded from a New York mirror, a Texas mirror and a North Carolina mirror simultaneously, and still got a download average of between 110 and 130 kb on each!

I installed MDK 10 yesterday. So far the only major issue I'm having is with my SB Audigy2 card.

9.2 did install the driver correctly, but 10 didn't.

Unfortunately I'm not a member of Mandrake Club frown , so I don't have any access to download Mdk-10 CE, can anybody give me the link so I can download it just now? laugh

just tried the link, it keeps throwing me off, do i need a password username to download as it tells me : site disconnected us at beggining, please try again. frown

It's probably overloaded. I tried it this am and downloaded disk 3. Of course, I treied it straight as a web site.

It is probably wise to try it during low usage times, such as early in the am.

Or, if you are using a download utility, try username anonymous and the same for a password.

my connection died last night the estimated time was 3 hours i started it up again and it said it would take 1 day and 20 hours early am is your best bet but if too much people catch on it will be slow again

Hey, look at the errata section at mandrakelinux.com, there are some errors in Mdk-10.0-CE.

I haven't try it yet, finished downloading but I have to find some friends to burn the isos to CD :P

If we browse some reviews (mandrakelinux, madpenguin, distrowatch), Mdk-10.0-CE looks great.