Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
loengard

Fast User Switching

First, a little background. I have a computer that I put in my loft that is the most powerful of the bunch. I would like to share it with other members of my family, but I don't like logging out and closing all my programs just so those other people can use it...

That's where Fast User Switching comes in, right? Wrong! Not if you're using a domain model and not a workgroup model.

I know, I know.... I'm a home user, what the hell am I running a domain for? Cuz I can.... It's secure.... and it provides me with central management of all the machines in my house. I have 7, so this makes it so much easier for me to administrate my network.

Suffice it to say, the idiots at Microsoft decided that if you're using a domain, then you must not want to have fast-user switching as an option. That's just stupid. I know plenty of companies that have domains and multiple users who use one machine. They might like it to.

I did find a way around it, but it's messy, and I don't like it.

Someone care to explain to me the rational behind this?

Loengard

The only way around it is to set up your system as a member of a workgroup, not a domain, with the workgroup name the same as the domain name.... Then you have to duplicate all of your user accounts and passwords EXACTLY from the domain server.... Pain in the butt, but it works, and allows for shared file access on the network...

Loengard

Being in a workgroup, that's not really getting around it, because your machine is not physically joining the domain and will not be part of the AD.

I've been using Win 2K Terminal services since Dec '99 ( ever since RC2 ). I use it almost everyday from work over the internet.

My peer to peer network at home is an actual domain connected to other PC's across the nation in a WAN that uses AD, although I am going to break down my server for troubleshooting soon.

I agree that TS is good, but does not replace an active domain.

I liked Fast user switching, but not at the extent of removing AD connectivity.