Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kingtrey

modem stuck at 33.6?!?!

alright wtf is going on here? for some reason my modem has decided it doesn't want to connect at anything higher than 33.6 ... i know that the ISP i'm using supports 56k ... my roommate on his computer, using the same phoneline and the same ISP & number can get a 56k connection, but i can't?! i know my modem can do it cause i've done it before many times. WTF is holding it back? what kind of settings control this kind of ****? somebody please explain to me WTF is going on here before i lose my mind?!?! smile

oh and btw, i've already checked in the modem properties, that number for maximum connection speed is up all the way on 115200

I'll assume that you've checked ALL the Modem properties such as Buffers and Control Flow type etc etc.... AND i'll asume that you haven't recently tried to upgrade the modem drivers lately or even FLASH your modem to a newer bios.

Have you tried moving your PC to your Roomates line (or Vice Versa) connection and seeing if it still connects at 33.6? If you guys are on the same cable with an extension (Coming from a splitter), the cable may have slightly defective or possible damp somewhere along the wire can cause "Noise" on the line.

If that ain't it, then try temporarily reverting to the Standard MS modem driver to see what connection speed you get. Since your modem props are set to the MAX 115200bps, the Standard driver will say that you've connected at that speed (which is bollox) so use a util such as Ativa DUN Monitor to see what you're really connecting at.

we're both using the exact same cable and phone line, i can plug it into his computer and it works 56k, into mine it only works 33.6 ... i never touch my modem as far as flashing and drivers cause the default win2k drivers have always worked just fine. it just decided to do this recently. i guess this is a driver issue but i have no idea what other driver to try cause i have a USRobotics 56k Winmodem i believe, but in Win2k, its installed as 3com Windows Modem TI, and if i try to change the driver it will screw it up and i can never get it to work again. i have no idea what driver i'd try though.

because its a winmoden, your not going to want to install a standard driver for it... that would normally be done with an external modem.

you should take lanfears advice and bring your computer into your friends room, then unplug the phone chord from his computer and plug it into the back of yours (even though its the same line)

if its still slow then go to the 3com website and download an updated driver for your modem, if you dont know what driver to get check its chipset.

but now that i think about it the model number for the card might be on the actual chipset for 3com it might be on the card for this modem i cant remember where its normally at.

it will be a number somthing like 663595

There also is a reg setting for MTU and receive window. I do not know if there is a tweak utility for win2000, or if it is an important as in win9x, but it may be worth looking into.

-RY

what is mtu?

I've read that the default receive window is by default set for a 56k (high latency)packet size for win9x,nt,2k not sure about xp though

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]

"TcpWindowSize"=dword:0000ffff

and the tweek to change this for cable/dsl or faster connection speeds, dword:00007fff

........but its 56k anyways wink hehe

Was this what you were talking about?

MTU=Maximm Transmission Unit

Basically it controls how many packets go out in one send.

Microsoft OS's set it higher for LAN use and setting it lower for modems usually speeds things up alot.

IIRC, it's set to 1500 in 9x OS's and most modem users set it to around 576.

I'm pretty sure it defaults to lan settings, you need to tweak it for 56k, however you seem to understand the idea already.

One other thing is a company called analogx has a prog for download called netstat live. Give it a try, I think it is 30 day uncrippled shareware or possibly if you are lucky freeware. It will give some nice info for you to troubleshoot with. I'm sure you will find it useful.

-RY