Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Netslayer2k1

Are previous beta versions of XP upgradable to Final Release

NEVER, ever upgrade. I've always had a cursed system when I do that.

Always do a clean install, even to upgrade.

I definitely agree with the above posts. You CAN upgrade from RC2. Jus don't do it. You'll find your self with an unstable system.

Again, I think some people just don't have good luck or know what they are doing when it comes to upgrading.

Secondary machine, Has been up for 3 weeks w/o reboot

DOS-> Win95 -> Win98 -> Win98se -> Windows2000 -> WinXP RC1 -> WInXP RC2

Main machine,

Win NT 3.51 -> NT 4.0 -> NT 5 beta 2 -> Windows 2000 -> WinXP RC1 -> WinXP RC2

I have no blue screens, plenty of drive space, no hardware that malfunctions, my benchmarks are usually equal or better than similar systems, I have lot's of software and different types of hardware. I have cleaned out some ol programs I don't use/need, and have kept me registry in check. It takes minimal effort. I do plan on upgrading to Win XP final on the same machine.

Faded, it may work fine for you but YOU is not everybody. I certainly wouldn't upgrade work systems when I could clean install simply because when you clean install you know exactly what's on that system and what to expect. Which is what I do.

Faded, did you install DOS on a brand new machine and then upgrad it 1 by 1 til XP just for fun?

because i don't see how you upgrade a 286/386 running DOS and upgrade to XP.

Most of the upgrade problems don't come from the OS itself. They are related to driver and software incompatibilities. It you install one OS after another you probably won't have any issues. But if you've actually installed software, most likely you will experience stability issues. I recommend a clean install on a new Windows OS. There are too many dependencies that can get FUBAR.

That is the same boot drive since having a pentium 75Mhz running DOS, then upgraded. All OS's had software and probably hardware added. I've changed motherboards,CPU, video,network, audio, etc over the years and it works fine.

thats completely amazing, your windows directory must be huge, because if u change motherboards, video etc, its saves all those drivers, settings and program files (eg ini, sys,dlls) in there. Well who knows with XP, i know the difference even upgrading windows 98 to SE i would do a clean install because of stability (makes it a bit better, 98 still stunk). 8)

If you up[censored] RCx to final, you should not run into any trouble. This is like installing a Super-Servicepack.

But never upgrade W9x/ME to 2000/XP. The OS are too different and you WILL run in trouble sooner or later.

Yeah it's real easy I got a 13mb zip file that will update you XP RC* to Final Corp edition(at least thats what I've been told). LMK if interested....

Thanks

Kook

Quote:

Yeah it's real easy I got a 13mb zip file that will update you XP RC* to Final Corp edition(at least thats what I've been told). LMK if interested....

the 13m file will only upgrade the 2600leak or 2600eval to FInal Corp edition. Because the zip file only contain the difference files between the corp version and the 2600s build.
if you apply the patch to RC2, that will make your computer still a RC2, but it will have no activation or 180days time limit.

Quote:

Faded, did you install DOS on a brand new machine and then upgrad it 1 by 1 til XP just for fun?
because i don't see how you upgrade a 286/386 running DOS and upgrade to XP.

Hehehehe smile...:D

I remember the old thread about this. Fix Win2k problems by installing Dos 6.22 first. Damn that was some funny stuff.

For those who are new - look here:
http://www.ntcompatible.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=5681

smile ;( laugh