Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
reversing_drive

Win 9x is great - No crashes at all.

Provided you install nothing on top of 9x laugh

I mean you can install the latest DirectX, some Games, However you should stop there and go no further.

Once you start installing Office2000 Prem ed. IE6, Dreamweaver4, ICQ2000, Netscape?, Latest Virus Scanner of your choice, ZoneAlarm, Overbloated Win Media Player7, ect.. (any other apps you may use day to day) YOU HAVE SUDDENLY GOT A VERY UNSTABLE SYSTEM 8)

Well in my experince, yours:confused ;(

So if you expect to do all the things you may do on computer on one Win9x install, expect BSOD frown many times.

Solution to this:

"Win2K Dualboot Win98" or "WinXP"(I haven't XPerienced this 1 yet)

Anyway i have :(ed many times over some bad XPeriences with Win9x (WinME is in a separate category of itself), and yes i have found the problem, it doesn't seem to handle to many installs, i don't know what it is, probably the registry. It just can't hack it.

Without failure Win9x will fail, after installing to many programs.

That is the biggest sigh of relief i have had about my experiences with Win2K which has every program i 'have ever used and am using' installed, current registry size is 18mb and growing:D

Win9x is great for games and newbie operation, but you are allways restricted, get too carried away with your favourite apps and BSOD will come and take that away.

Cheers.

After I install too many applications the system begins to slow on boot up even after removing things from the startup. After I install everything on Windows ME, disable system restore, my PC starts with 96 % system resources, use it for a couple of hours down to 50 % or less. BSOD's will come eventually too. No probs under 2K.

had problems at first but 98se is stable for me. I can have it run for days. No slow down, dont ever use swap file (512mb of ram), I have office xp, aoe2, everquest, media player, ie 6, msn messenger, half life, and more. I keep my software/drivers up to date at updates.com and found my previous errors were due to bad drivers. I ran win2k from dec 99 until XP went final(almost 2 years), but I found 98se to solve my gaming needs. Not that I couldnt get games to run in 2k, just that they run a lot better in 98se.