Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rosalind

Uninstalling Mandrake 9.1 on a single boot system

Please help! For some reason I've been unable to fathom, I can't get X windows to start in 9.1, so I have no GUI. So I want to completely uninstall it and start again with Suse.

The system only has one operating system on it, Mandrake, so no partitions to worry about. Does anyone know how I go about uninstalling it? All I can find when I search the web is instructions for Windows systems.

How about giving a little more information on your system?

Let us know what motherboard/system that you have and some indication of the hardware on the system.

Monitor, video card and the like.

Before doing an install of SUSE, make sure that your hardware supports it. This may be one of the problems why X will not start.

If you wish, let us know what error messages that you are getting.

If your sure, just go ahead and install SUSE and allow the hard drive to be overwritten.

Do you have the suse disks, or are you plannng to install from the web/via ftp?

The motherboard is M787CL from SIS, the monitor a Samtron from Samsung. It's all newish so it's not likely to be a problem with lack of RAM or whatever. When I bought it I specified that everything should be Linux compatible. I'll have a trawl through the boxes for more specific details, but not right now (I should get some sleep).

I did get some files from the SIS website, but I have no idea what to do with them. Xfree86Config was one, but it was just an example, I think you had to fill in the gaps appropriately and I have no clue how. Another was a diff file which said it needed installing in some directory that I don't have, it might not have been what I need. The guy I bought the system from suggested I install this stuff and see if it helps, but I suspect him of knowing less about Linux than I do.

Quote:

If your sure, just go ahead and install SUSE and allow the hard drive to be overwritten.

So are you saying I just have to stick the discs in the drive, and it will overwrite the OS? I've never done this before.

Quote:

Do you have the suse disks, or are you plannng to install from the web/via ftp?

I've got the boxed discs, which is probably just as well.

Since you have no "real" working operating system to work with, which you can partition the drive with, yes, you can use SUSE to overwrite the current Mandrake install.

Let me ask, did you install Mandrake, or did it come pre-installed, when you bought it?

Reason that I ask, is Mandrake install disks have a very good partitioning tool that you can use.

But, the question is, will Linux install at all?

This looks like a PcChips mainboard and I find very little on it, related to Linux. However, the LAN card should work, but the AMR modem (if it has one installed) will not, at least, not easily.

Hope you have DSL or Broadband!

I would suggest trying a cd based distro of Linux first, to see if you can get a GUI. This board has a trident integrated video.

If you have access to a cd burner, get a cd based distro like Mepis or Knoppix and see if it will run. It will run only from ram and the cd. If you get a gui, then this will tell you how difficult it will be to get Linux running on this system. If Mepis or Knoppix gives you the same problem, then you know what your in for.

Also, there is a cd based version of SUSE, as well.

Good that you have the SUSE cd set. What I was getting at is the ability to partition the disk easily, to wipe Mandrake.

What version do you have as a boxed set?

I have no experience with SIS chipset systems, but give us the link to the files and we can look at them.

My hp551 has the SIS chips . Knoppix had a problem with it . Anaconda hangs

with a "can't load BETANAG" message. Mepis is OK with it but a little hassle

configuring printer. Ark has no problem with the SIS system.

(Anaconda is the Red Hat installer)

Although Red Hat installer won't work with mine it won't hurt to try since your

machine is a different model and you have apparently trashed your other OS.

Debian may work on your SIS chips but I had a 3 day argument with it's installer

on mine. (I lost and went back to Ark.)

Thanks for replying, Mel. I wondered about the sis chipsets.

I hope that this PcChips board is better than the one I had a few years ago, all kinds of problems.

I hope Rosalind has beeter luck. OK, I will say it...I don't think this is the best choice for a linux board. I hope Rosalind is able to get it going, or the seller will holds up to his/her promise of delivering a linux capable board, and I am proven wrong.

Originally posted by danleff:

Quote:

If you have access to a cd burner, get a cd based distro like Mepis or Knoppix and see if it will run. It will run only from ram and the cd. If you get a gui, then this will tell you how difficult it will be to get Linux running on this system. If Mepis or Knoppix gives you the same problem, then you know what your in for.

sorry for chiping in June for a thread that started in March 2004 smile

I also have a M787CL+ which has "VIA C3 Samuel2 1GigaPro" [running at 733MHz] builtin on the motherboard. I have 256MB RAM, and a 40GB hard disk. While Knoppix 3.1 works like a charm, I had failed to install Mandrake 9. Luckily the problem was known to mandrake: it is reported partly here

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/90errata.php3#viac3

The system once ran Windows 2000 Professional rather slugishly. Details from System Information from my notes:

Display Adapter: SiS 630/730

Network Adapter: SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet

Sound: SiS 7018

USB: SiS 7001

I intend to try Knoppix 3.4 and then do a kpx2hd for hard disk installation. If there is interest, I will report it on the forum.

Hi, mumtaz

I'm running a SIS system similar to yours.Trying to install Mandrake 9 was a nightmare but Mandrake 10 was a dream.

I just booted with mandrake10 disk 2,answered a couple questions and swapped disks when prompted. MDK10 installer found and set

up everything perfectly.(Even a couple things I didn't know I had.)