Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SoulNothing

Mirrors for Fedora Core 2 test

i went to the site and all but one link works and thats for the fourth disc anyone where know where i can grab the last disc on mirror links please

thanks in advance.

I use Core one which, so far, is very impressive. Why not go with that? Then if you like it you can upgrade to the next version? The Core one mirrors are probably pretty quiet now. You shouldn't have any problems downloading the three ISOs.

i already got the first cores iso's and i really liked it i just screwed the screen resolution and now it wont open so i went back to redhat 9.0 then fedora and now im trying to get fedora 2

Go with Core 1!

I got it working with kernel 2.6.0 and kde 3.2.1. Hoooahh!! laugh

i got the 2nd one and got a guide for dummies to fedora core 1 now ill try up[censored] the kernel but my main isssue is the network

it says it is a nvnet from nforce 2 and has it set as a eth0 no irq and i cant activate each time it comes up with a different message

Quote:
Go with Core 1!

I got it working with kernel 2.6.0 and kde 3.2.1. Hoooahh!! laugh

danleff how is it with 2.6? I may want to upgrade mine if you give me an "all clear." smile

im going to try that as well tonight

i have 2.6.2.4 or something like that ill try 2.6 and kde

any advice on the networking its a built in nforce 2 ethernet port

OK, I will be honest...it's not easy!

I did somethng that I ususally do not do. Got the kernel rpm's.

Had to install module-init-tools from source. Updated modutils to the latest rpm available and installed 2.6.0. You have to make some hand written coorections to modules.conf and sysinit.

When I get a chance, I will post some links.

I would stay away from kernel 2.6.3 and 4, at least the rpm's. All I get is errors with X. No gui and X respawning too fast problems. I got to work on this.

Apparently, XF86Config was written over and I reverted back to my backup copy, otherwise, I lost Fedora gui. Has something to do with the changes in kernel 2.6.3 and up with the mouse recognition.

In terms of kde, the rpm's are available.

You need to upgrade via the console, out of the kde environment. Some dependency errors - I needed to uninstall the devel. packages of arts and qt, then the upgrade went better. Upgraded Arts first, then qt, then kde.

You can do it with yum, but this is still really untested.

Apparently apt will work as well, but I did not try this.

I elected to do the upgrade by hand. Downloaded the packages to a directory, cd into it and did rpm -Fvh * which upgraded what I already had installed. Then added packages with rpm -ivh (like the devel. packages and addons).

At first, I got some lockups after the kernel upgrade, but this smoothed out after a couple of restarts.

Once I get on my other system, I will post the links, which were very helpful.

So, for the timid, I would wait for core 2!

danleff, I've been playing around with the 2.6 kernel tonight as well. It installed easily enough, but the major problem here is NO SOUND with my extremely common Soundblaster Live. My Logitech usb laser mouse movement was on acid, and the wheel doesn't work. Also, I had to revert to the "nv" drivers to get a screen. It is fast though, but not so fast that it's worth my suffering through the other irritations. As these problems get resolved, I will learn, and from time to time go back to it and try to tweak it. My first impression though is, 2.6 is not ready yet for prime time, but looks very promising! smile

Yep. the mouse movement is fast...too fast. I don't have a USB, but my scroll mouse is fine.

The nvidia drivers...you would have to re-install them for the 2.6.0 kernel, but I'm not sure that they are made yet for this kernel. I had to revert back to the NV driver in one of my installs as well. Of course, I'm not a gamer. wink

What I noticed is a faster response time overall, especially at boot.

Sound is now alsa built into this kernel and modifications need to be made in modules.conf for the alsa driver.

KDE is more responsive, as well.

Another quirk, the rpm kernels have no built in support for reiserfs!

OK, here is the link promised for fedora core 1 and the kernel build;

http://www.geocities.com/asimshankar/etc/linux/migrate26.html

And for the sound card (yes, soundblaster) with alsa;

http://fedora.artoo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58

In the first article, notice the USB changes in step 3;

Quote:
The names of some USB related modules have changed between 2.4 and 2.6.

First, open /etc/modprobe.conf and replace occurrences of usb-uhci with uhci-hcd (this will probably be at one place, changing alias usb-controller1 usb-uhci to alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd).

Also, change all instances of mousedev to usbmouse and instances of keybdev to usbkbd.

Now repeat the mousedev and keybdev replacements in /etc/rc.sysinit.

And finally for KDE;

http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

im still a little confused i know how manually mount a kernel did that with 9.0 but what i dont know is networking im a mass network freak

my setup is like this for the ethernet cords yes im wired

motorolla surfboard to belkin router to hub to pcs

all are linux compatible

but i cant figure out how to set this up is there a special code in dos that will tell me my ip subnet and gateway because the cable company didnt give me anything btw the company is comcast.

im thinking ill have to setup manually

in command prompt, if you type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes of course. Then it will list all of that info for ya. I imagine it's the same for DOS