Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
whoisurdaddy

Antivirus program for Windows XP

Anybody know which Antivirus program work with Windows XP? I just tried installing Norton Antivirus 2001 and I am getting a message saying it is not compatible with Windows XP.

I've been using Norton AntiVirus 2001 on XP RC1 for the last week with no problems, I followed the instructions from Xeons Windows XP Centre at http://winxp.descrypt.com

Here's a copy of them:

Running Norton programs in Windows XP

This fix is only valid on a clean install of Windows XP. First, make sure there is no Norton software on your system. You will also have to get rid of any traces of Norton or Symantec in the registry, program files, and any other places Norton files may be.

After you have done this restart your computer and make sure you login to an account with Administrative privileges. Now, here are the steps:

1. Go to the command prompt and run this:

"echo blah > %systemroot%\system32\symevent.sys"

You won't see any output. All this does is create a dummy file so you can get the sevinst.exe file to upgrade a copy of symevent that isn't really there, and this making Norton install cleanly the first time.

2. Download this file and run it - sevinst.exe

3. Restart your computer. It is very important you restart here.

4. You can now install Norton AntiVirus, Utilities, SystemWorks 2001.

This will only work on a system that had no traces of Norton software on it before these steps were applied. This fix does work, if it doesn't work for you, you must be doing something wrong.

Note: Any drive utility that worked in Windows 2000 will not work in Windows XP because the NTFS file system is now at version 5.1 which Norton does not support.

You'll still get the warning about it not being compatible, but it worked fine for me

i advise against using any "Norton" products as they seem to screw things up and hog memory.

Is that just with Windows XP EddiE314? or are you against Symantec software on all versions of Windows?

My past experience is that if you have a low spec PC then you'll really notice the speed decrease when you install a lot of the Symantec software (Antivirus, Norton Utilities, Internet Security) but faster machines hardly notice the difference.

And given the competition I'd rather stick with Syamntec everytime - they're reliable and Symantec provide excellent support in my experience (although I'm sure there are dozens of people out there who would argue against that one!)

I guess at the end of the day it's down to personal preference...