Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spejbl

slow FX5200 in MDK9.1

Hello everyone,

I'm just starter in Linux and I've got one small question. Last week I've installed Linux Mandrake9.1. I have got NVidia GeForce FX5200 128MB 128bit graph. card and the graphics in Linux is too slow (for example Tux racer, csmash). Easier - games. Everything other is OK. Do I need download drivers for graphic cards with NVidia chips?

First, download the Nvidia "drivers" from their site. Here's an excerpt from an earlier post on how to get it going for you. smile

Quote:
You'll have to edit your /etc/inittab file. Become root and type "gedit", without the quoteations and press enter.

click "open", and in the left hand pane, double click the "../ " 2 times.

In the left hand pane, scroll down to /etc and double click it.

look for "inittab" in the right pane, and double click it. gedit will then open the inittab file.

look for the line..

id:5:initdefault:

edit this line and change the "5" to a "3"

save, exit and reboot the computer.

This time, your "user manager thingie" will not come up for you to enter your name and password because you will now not be in X windows. You will have to enter your username and password at the command line to become root. Then go:

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.mun [enter]

..and follow the instructions.

After completion, and at the command prompt, type "startx" and press enter. This will start X and will put you back in runlevel 5.

log in as usual, and return to gedit as above. Go back to /etc/inittab and change the "3" back to a "5". Also while in gedit, find and open /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and look for a line under...

Section "Device"

and where you see "nv", change it to "nvidia" (this time only, with the quotes just as you see them)

save this file, exit out of gedit, reboot, and everything should work as before except your new updated Nvidia module willl be installed. If it is installed properly, from here on out all you will have to do is update your drivers which is very easy. Just become root (and if you're online) type:

nvidia-installer --update

That's it!

To Dapper Dan:

Thanks a lot. I've just done it and before requesting for username and password there appears logo of NVidia. But I think it is not better. I haven't just try TuxRacer :-) but for example xfishtank (hope U know what it is) is still slower and not continuous. Is there any next setting of graphic card instead of installation or no. Or is it normal that xfishtank is so slow?

PS: My PC: Duron1.6 256MB SDRAM@133 VIA KT133 FX5200 1238 MB 128b

A lot of that can depend on other things besides just your Nvidia card. For instance, even Frozen Bubble will lag occaisionally on my system which runs Half-Life via Winex3 like a champ. I have one box that will run Freedroid OK, but refuses to run Tux Racer. As long as you put "nvidia" where "nv" used to be in your XF86Conbfig , you will be running the downloaded Nvidia drivers which should give you a noticable performance boost to your video card when running games in general.