Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mello_j

SafeBurn vs. BurnProof

I just bought a Yamaha 20x10x40, and the box says that it has Safeburn

Is this in any way related to Burnproof? I had another burner and it had lots of coasters coming out. So I want something that will reduce the ratio.

It also has an 8mb buffer....so should I see a big improvement?

And is safeburn akin to burnproof?

Thanks!

Safeburn is Yamaha's take on the burnproof technology.

Does the same thing, and yes, the 8mb buffer will come in handy.

I have the Yamaha 8424sz int.scsi, and have yet to burn a coaster, and that doesn't even use safeburn.

Yamaha make damn good cdrw's.

One thing I will mention, is that I have seen posts regarding the new yamaha range , and it might not be possible to burn at the top speed without using TDK cd's.

Shouldn't be a problem though, that new burner will fair zip along.

burnproof/safeburn are a gimic. They work yes but if you know what media to buy and what the top burn speed for your media is you should not run into problems. I have a Sony 12/10/40, and i have only burned 2 or 3 coasters using it but that was because i tried burning a CD at 12x using media certified for 8x. So in the end it doesnt come down to the burner that much anymore but it comes down to the media. Good media = Good burn Bad Media = Coaster.

yeah. I would still get a plextor over a yamaha. FOR THAT 90 MIN BURNING SWEETNESS laugh I don't really need burn proof. I am still humming along w/ an 8x4x32 panasonic. laugh haven't had a coaster since. Maybe because of win2k . .I don't know.

I think of it kinda like the airbag in your car, or the smoke detectors in your home. You could probably do just fine without, and most people will never use it, but it is still a nice feature to have if something does happen.

And there are absolutely no negative side effects, so why not have it around just in case?

ThC is 100% right.

I used to buy cheap media (i'm still using a good old hp 8200i burner), and 50% of my cd's came out as coasters. Then, once, i saw a list of recommended brands on the cdrwin site (http://www.goldenhawk.com), since i've used those brands i must say most of my cd burned perfect. i got no burnproof thingie at all on that burner and only a buffer of 2mb if i'm not mistaken.