Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maillion

Help me escape!

Until recently, there were three programs that I absolutely had to have in Windoze:

1. A paint prgram like Paint Shop Pro or Adobe Photoshop

2. An image catalogger like Thumbs Plus

and

3. A virtual drive encryption program like Scramdisk or E4M.

Until recently, The Gimp was just one function shy of doing everything I need, that is a means of adjusting the gamma in an image. I recently found it (very well hidden), so once I find it again, I can get by with The Gimp!

Now I'm down to two.

Compupic is the only image catalogger I have found that does most of what I want, but it will not allow me to make the thumbnails large enough for me to see properly. I need one that will allow that, plus a couple of other minor things, but I desperately need larger thumbnails!

I have yet to even find a minor form of the encryption program.

Is there anyone out there that has any ideas? (I have googled 'til my eyes crossed!) If I can get these two programs, I can say goodbye to M$ for good. (Pun intended.) 8)

Quote:
If a Linux equivalent is not available, you may have luck running those programs under Winex3 or Crossover wine. Here's a free older version of Winex3 to try out...

http://www003.portalis.it/115/winexx.html

I've wanted to try out Winex, and I certainly appreciate the link. I have tried Thumbs Plus with Wine, and it does not work. (Nor does Paint Shop Pro.) Pehaps one or the other or both will work with Winex... I'm pretty sure that Scramdisk won't run under it though, because of what scramdisk does. (It creates an encrypted file, and then 'mounts' it as a virtual disk, which Windows sees as as if it were a hardware disk.) I use it when I have to bring something home from work to work on over the weekend, to protect the data from prying eyes... 8)

Thanks!

ok, I understand. Although I thought the Wine team was either working on this or even worked?

Did you try fotoon? (http//fotoon.sourceforge.net/). The application is still very young, but quite nice to use. Else you have kimdaba too... although I prefer fotoon

and

man, you never use google (www.google.com)? Apart from the usual linux Crypto API, I found this

http//www.jetico.com/linux/bcrypt-help/c_bas03.htm

For the crypto api....

http//www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/HOWTO/Encryption-HOWTO/Encryption-HOWTO-4.html lol

Quote:
Until recently, there were three programs that I absolutely had to have in Windoze:

2. An image catalogger like Thumbs Plus and

Until recently, The Gimp was just one function shy of doing everything I need, that is a means of adjusting the gamma in an image. I recently found it (very well hidden), so once I find it again, I can get by with The Gimp!

You're farther ahead than I am :-). And, how do you adjust the gama in gimp? I still don't prefer it over PSP. They keep having rumors of Linux Adobe Photoshop, but I'm not eager to pay $300-$600 for that frown.

Oh, and I don't know about you, but, I consider wine to be the worst form of kludge... If I'm going over to Linux then I want it to 'be Linux'!

Quote:
Now I'm down to two.

Hopefully, one now smile

Quote:
Compupic is the only image catalogger I have found that does most of what I want, but it will not allow me to make the thumbnails large enough for me to see properly. I need one that will allow that, plus a couple of other minor things, but I desperately need larger thumbnails!

Try xnview, I think that will do what you need. Kind of like Ifranview.
http://www.xnview.com/

Quote:
I have yet to even find a minor form of the encryption program.

Can't help you with that one. I'll keep my eyes open.

Quote:
I use it when I have to bring something home from work to work on over the weekend, to protect the data from prying eyes... 8)

How about a usb key device. I don't have a use for it, but, I notice that Mepis and som other distros have a passworded program to limit access to those. You can cary a lot of files on a 128MB key. $35 for 88+ floppys isn't a bad deal... Also, since you carry this thing in your pocket, the physical security is pretty good...' Unless' people at your workplace have a habit of placing 'their' hands in 'your' pocket ;(

I'll check on what the app is that's being used for key security & transfer.

Try:
PAM and pam_usb module
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/

Quote:
How about a usb key device...

We've got USB devices working on three machines and they work great. Just click an icon to tell it what to do, and you're done in one second! I just wish there was a way to get a Ext3 or RieserFS file system on them instead of fat32. We use them to backup data on a daily basis, then run kompare to see if the original file and the one on the stick is the same size. Beats the shit out of taking 45 minutes backing up to floppies, which may or may not take the info you put on them. smile

Quote:

ok, I understand. Although I thought the Wine team was either working on this or even worked?

Did you try fotoon? (http://fotoon.sourceforge.net/). The application is still very young, but quite nice to use. Else you have kimdaba too... although I prefer fotoon

and

man, you never use google (www.google.com)? Apart from the usual linux Crypto API, I found this:

http://www.jetico.com/linux/bcrypt-help/c_bas03.htm

For the crypto api....
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/HOWTO/Encryption-HOWTO/Encryption-HOWTO-4.html laugh

I have tried two versions (5 and 7) of JASC Paint Shop Pro in Wine, neither of them work. I have also tried registered Thumbs Plus 4 and shareware Thumbs Plus 6 in Wine, no luck.

I downloaded both fotoon and Kimdaba, but simply based upon the screenshots and the fact that Kimdaba has binaries for Debian available, I will most likely use it if it allows large enough thumbnails. The screenshots and descriptions for fotoon look and sound more like an album/share program than a catalogger. I organise my images in my own set of directories, and finding them depends upon knowing the categories rather than individual 'tagged' files. I will try it, assuming I can actually install it. (I'm not very good at compiling source code at the moment, although that may change after I work on bestcrypt. See below.)

The bestcrypt program is exactly what I was looking for, and because despite months of google searching, I have not found anything that comes close (I read the HOWTO file often enough that I have had it bookmarked for several weeks), but this is perfect. As poor as I am at compiling things under Linux, I am willing to spend the next couple of months, if necessary, learning how to do it. Thanks! I will start out with Kimdaba, since I downloaded the .deb file, so it should be the easiest to install, then I will try to compile/install bestcrypt. laugh 8)

EDIT

I just tried Kimdaba, and both .deb packages had dependancy errors:

Code:
Preparing to replace kimdaba 1.1-0.woody.ach.1 (using .../kimdaba_1.1-1.ach_i386.deb) ...Unpacking replacement kimdaba ...dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kimdaba: kimdaba depends on kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.1.95); however:  Version of kdelibs4 on system is 4:3.1.4-3. kimdaba depends on libqt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.2.3); however:  Version of libqt3c102-mt on system is 3:3.2.1-6. kimdaba depends on zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1); however:  Version of zlib1g on system is 1:1.1.4-16.dpkg: error processing kimdaba (--install): dependency problems - leaving unconfiguredErrors were encountered while processing: kimdaba

I haven't done anything but a dist-upgrade, so I may have to do something else to get the libs that are not the correct versions. More later... 8)

Quote:
Quote:
I use it when I have to bring something home from work to work on over the weekend, to protect the data from prying eyes... 8)

How about a usb key device. I don't have a use for it, but, I notice that Mepis and som other distros have a passworded program to limit access to those. You can cary a lot of files on a 128MB key. $35 for 88+ floppys isn't a bad deal... Also, since you carry this thing in your pocket, the physical security is pretty good...' Unless' people at your workplace have a habit of placing 'their' hands in 'your' pocket ;(

I'll check on what the app is that's being used for key security & transfer.

Try:
PAM and pam_usb module
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/

Yeah, Jim, thanks for the suggestion, but 30 cents for a cdrw is a bit cheaper, and my IT dept. has prevented usb from working on our machines, so I'm kind of stuck in that regard... (Besides, I wind up with a free cdrw disk every couple weeks... ;( 8)

Quote:
You're farther ahead than I am . And, how do you adjust the gama in gimp? I still don't prefer it over PSP. They keep having rumors of Linux Adobe Photoshop, but I'm not eager to pay $300-$600 for that .

Oh, and I don't know about you, but, I consider wine to be the worst form of kludge... If I'm going over to Linux then I want it to 'be Linux'!

as for gamma in the Gimp, I found it, then lost it! I know its there somewhere (now were did I put that...) As for Wine, I have yet to find but one program (I can't for the life of me remember which) that has worked in Wine! I've downloaded the free version of Winex from Transgaming, but I will most likely us it for Doom, if either of the programs
mandapaca told me about work. I'm in Win98 right now, but I'm headed for Debian in just a moment. as soon as I get there, I will start poking the Gimp and see if he will reveal his secrets one more time, and tell you all about it...
8) laugh

EDIT

Hmmm... I may have been using the version og the Gimp for Windows when I saw the caption that said "Gamma", but I did find (with the help of google) the place to adjust it.( I found it here: https://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-user/2002-May/004576.html ). If you right click on an image and choose "Image-Colors-Levels" in the dialog that pops up there will be a group of three boxes with values in them that can be increased or decreased. The one in the center is the gamma adjustment, even though it is not labelled any more than the other two. Really, I need to email the Gimp Project and see if that can be changed! Perhaps there is a newer version of the Gimp that has it labelled? ;(

Quote:
Quote:

We've got USB devices working on three machines and they work great. Just click an icon to tell it what to do, and you're done in one second! I just wish there was a way to get a Ext3 or RieserFS file system on them instead of fat32. We use them to backup data on a daily basis, then run kompare to see if the original file and the one on the stick is the same size. Beats the shit out of taking 45 minutes backing up to floppies, which may or may not take the info you put on them. smile

Thanks, Dapper, see my reply to Jimf43, to see why I can't do the usb key thing. (I would have used my compactflash reader long ago, otherwise.)

Quote:
I use gqview for photo viewing.

Yeah, I can use nearly any one of the dozens of viewers available, but keeping up with the images and seeing which one I want to look at next is not that easy. Thanks for the thought! 8)

Quote:
Quote:

Boy, I got to agree with you there.

I have yet to find a good program to adjust thumbnails and pics for my website. I tried Jalbum, but it is a bear to set up (java and such) and I would like to resize thimbs as well.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

By the way danleff, on a related note, Morphix just came out with a new base module, (0.4-1d) which is around 51 mb, that is configured to boot at startup. I wish my computer would boot from usb. Maybe it could, but I'm kind of squeamish about up[censored] the bios. frown

Quote:
Morphix just came out with a new base module, (0.4-1d) which is around 51 mb, that is configured to boot at startup. I wish my computer would boot from usb. Maybe it could, but I'm kind of squeamish about up[censored] the bios. frown

Yes, Mepis has that too, but I feel the same about the squeamish part ;-). On the other hand, you mentioned formatting USB keys with RieserFS. I remember reading something about that. I'll see if I can find it.

Yea, up[censored] the bios should only be done to fix a problem or to update capability. I used to be an admin on a bios site. The biggest mistake people would make is to not follow the manufacturers recommendations on how to flash their board, or to turn off the system before the flash was finished.

The second was flashing with the wrong bios flash file for their motherboard version. They would just pick the general motherboard model and not the exact version of their mobo.

But adding usb boot capability is a plus. The unfortunate part is that standards are different bewteen manufatureres, so that you someties have to play with the boot sequence a little to get it right. USB-ZIP vs. USB-HDD and such. I have found this in Linux, where syslinx is picky about this when setting up the process.

Good link to Morphix, thanks!

Quote:
On the other hand, you mentioned formatting USB keys with RieserFS. I remember reading something about that. I'll see if I can find it.
Really! That would be awesome! smile