Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
punkisdead

Which window manageer do you use?????

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

At the moment, it has to be KDE (2.2.x). It's really easy to use and very logical. However, I do like Enlightenment and Fluxbox, but the skinning is a bit complicated for me right now with the amount of time I'm willing to commit to it.

Back in the day I used to use OpenStep (I think thats what it was called... It looked like NeXTStep anyhow) but now I use Gnome wherever possible.

I use kde 3.1 and am trying to get a working copy of kde 3.2 installed. At first when I made my new steps into the gui world I was scared away by kde at my lowres 256 color settings and moved over to gnome. Gnome eventually turned out to be very incompatible with the applications I was wanting to run so I upgraded my hardware and ventured into hires screen configs and back into kde.

I like KDE, Gnome always has been a little problematic for me. KDE seems to be the most user friendly with easily recognized applications and utilities.

8) KDE at the moment. (Mainly because I can't get Gnome to allow different backgrounds on each of the virtual desktops, which helps me remember which one I'm in.) But I do like IceWM.

One of the things I like about Linux is that you can switch window managers at will; one for one purpose another for another, etc. (Or just because you want to try something new...) :x

I've used Gnome, KDE, Enlightenment, Fluxbox, Blackbox, XFCE, and a few others, and I always come back to IceWM.

Ice Windows Maker is small, light, minimal, extremely fast, very friendly on resources, rock solidly dependable and highly configurable. I run it on 5 boxes between work and home. smile

I sometime use KDE coz it may have a configuration function I can't find it in the Gnome menus, and I haven't yet edited my menus, which is probably why I don't use IceWM or blackbox as much on this machine as I do on my older Pentium Debian box.

Gnome is faster for me because all the stuff I need is right where I want it and I don't have to go chasing through Apps menus (I could make an effort to edit them!) and it seems to be a little lighter on the 1.3 Duron than KDE.

Window Managers ? GUI ? Ha.

Window managers and high resolutions exist soley to allow you run several hundred xterms at once (with a pretty background of course).

Quote:
Window Managers ? GUI ? Ha.

Window managers and high resolutions exist soley to allow you run several hundred xterms at once (with a pretty background of course).

Perfectly fair point, however, if you were a bit of a noob and wanted to get a better understanding of the Linux way of thinking, which GUI would you use! Or is that not quite on the thread?