Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AceX

Red Faction demo

I can't seem to get the red afction demo running under XP. Whenever I start the demo it seems as if the computer freezes, then a little hd activity and then I am back at the desktop. Anybody out there got this thing running ?

My conf is:

AMD 1333 mHz

Geforce 2 Ultra

A7V

The MP demo worked fine for me on XP RC2 with my k62-400 with 256mb of RAM and my TNT2 card. Pretty low end, but its my internet computer, not my game computer. Anyway, it ran fine.. a bit slow and hte graphics werent too sharp, but it ran good.

jeff

It does work by extracting file.

It says, directx not found.

ARC

Tycho from Penny Arcade wrote his situation and solution:

Quote:

I had been really excited to play the Red Faction Demo - single or multi, I didn't care - but as fate would have it, it's the only game I haven't been able to make work right on XP straight away. It warns you as soon as you install it, a thingy comes up saying that playing on Windows 2000 is probably a no go, but I've seen those messages before and never really been bitten by them. If I can make x-tremely old games function under X to the P, I figured that the 'Faction would be cake - it might still be cake I suppose, but it's revolting, inedible cake. I've hit Deja for a solution, and more often than not they suggest extracting the "d3d8.dll" from the DirectX 8.0a package and placing it in the Red Faction folder. The first time I wrote this paragraph, it was much longer and there was more kvetching. I suggested that perhaps the author of that advice was the mayor of Liartown. I just got it working with the d3d8.dll (ver. 5.1.2258.400) from Scott Vaio though, and I played it just long enough to tell you that it's really nice to look at. I mean it. In fact, I think I'm going to go look at it some more.

I never used the directX file. I just installed and ran.. no problems. Im not sure what video drivers im using.. could be 12.41 dets.

j

Well the directx thing actually worked. I found that I downloaded the win9x version. Sorry for the last reply.

Anyway, the game is very boring and typical.

ARC

I found the game pretty linear, but also pretty enjoyable. The geomod can do some pretty amazing new things. The scene with the tank on the bridge gave me a chance to pull off an unscripted sequence that I've probably always wanted to make. After pulling it off, I screamed out in pleasure. I didn't expect Red Faction to deliver one my the best gaming moments.

Quote:

I found the game pretty linear, but also pretty enjoyable. The geomod can do some pretty amazing new things. The scene with the tank on the bridge gave me a chance to pull off an unscripted sequence that I've probably always wanted to make. After pulling it off, I screamed out in pleasure. I didn't expect Red Faction to deliver one my the best gaming moments.

Hmmmm. You need to stay inside more. wink