Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fatattack

Pcanywhere

I regularly use Pcanywhere to do some remote administration.

Although I know that some alternatives will work under XP I am not so sure about Pcanywhere though.

I am using v 9.2 (windows 2k compatible version)

If anyone has tried it on XP please let me know the results.

thanks

PCanywhere 9.2 works very well in Windows XP. The only issue I had with it is it disabled the Windows Welcome Screen. I got the old Widnows NT/2000 login dialog instead. Uninstalling PCanywhere resolved this. It did this in both Beta 2 and RC1. I haven't had the opportunity to try it with RC2.

thanks for the info

i figured it would do some weird **** to the login as it had warned before i attempted an install

i tried it under win2k twice and twice it ****ed up my system hard.

( video card driver totally gone and unable to function until I did a reinstall)

Once I sort of got it working and I couldn't connect to a 9.x server.

Maybe it was the less than flawless install :-) but it looked to me like this thing wasn't backwards compatible at all.

So if it ****s your system up in 2k it's bound to **** it up in XP

Anyone had any good XP with PCA 10 ??

I've been using PcAnywhere 10 for the last couple of weeks with no problems at all.

Like previous posts have said - If you install it with Host capability then it will replace the Microsoft GINA (the login screen) with the Windows 2000 version.

I've installed in Remote only which means that I can take over screens but I can't put my machine into host mode to have my screen taken over (which is no problem for me as I only use it for dial-in support for work)

So to cut a long story short, use remote only install option if you don't want to stuff up the pretty log-in screen smile

because VNC is open source. I'm not a programmer and I've been able to hack it with even basic knowledge of C.

anyone have any issues with being unable to uninstall PC anywhere in XP Pro...even physically deleting it from the HD? I believe it's looking for a network...or a network administrator. Thanks.

VNC is not secure enough to use over the internet i think. as someone else said:

Quote:

FadedTimes Posted: 19th August 2001 10:45 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

because VNC is open source. I'm not a programmer and I've been able to hack it with even basic knowledge of C.