Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
aryka

Hotfix

Hi all - quick question...

I was looking for an easier way to manage hotfixes across a few servers (8 to be exact) and saw something on a MS KB article about hfx.exe, but can't find it or any other references. Anyone know where it is, or any good hotfix manager progie?

Thanks!

Someone else posted this a few days ago, so I can't take any credit for finding it, but St Bernard have some software called UpdateExpert.

It lets you check the status of your Windows servers and install hotfixes/service packs over the network.

It supports NT/2000/IIS/SQL/Exchange/Office/Outlook so can be used to keep an eye ono your whole network.

The demo runs for 15 days and will let you manage 5 machines (but you can remove machines and add new ones).

On the trial version I have, for some reason the 15 day limit keeps reseting everyday smile

Only problem is that they only sell a minimum of a 75 machine license. This is about £1100 + VAT for the software and a 3 year subscription to the update service.

Now this is a piece of software I'd love to evaluate but the license is too small. I've kept it around for the past couple of weeks looking for a "solution" or an alternative program but it looks like this is the best. wink

Thanks Bursar. Looks neat. We'll see... They seem to be the company that wrote SPQuery which was somewhat dated.

DosFreak - am I not seeing a link or something in your post or are you referring to UpdateExpert?

Thanks guys!

Kevin

I am looking for the same command line program from MS. Couldn't find it all i know is it should be in technet. not downloads.

Crack it, if you don't have a license when BSE knocks the door you are still gonna get busted!

Just use it!

no one would ever knock at your door unless you were distributing illegal/cracked copies for $$$.

Well, maybe not in states. But in europe it is a whole new story...

They can and do knock on your door and check licences time to time. there is even a reward for the whoever informed them.

Of course they can not really do anything other than have statements taken and maybe you will get a fine but they check it.

I have a great program I use called BigFix. You can either leave it open in your system tray and it will notify you of all fixes as they come out or you can run it periodically. It scans your system against the available fixes and loads only those your system needs. It can be downloaded from:

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/1,101...n=&ca=10001

and it's FREEWARE! Very handy program.

I think this program is the 1 your looking 4:

hfnetchk

Something usefull from M$, but you still have to download the patches yourself ;(

To see if your all patched up (240K) (example below) :

get it here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=31154

Also an online checker which is pretty good, checks everything...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/mpsa/start.asp

The individual patches are here below and are all indexed:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itsolutions/security/current.asp

Scanning WIN2K

Done scanning WIN2K

----------------------------

WIN2K

----------------------------

WINDOWS 2000 SERVER SP2

Patch NOT Found MS00-077 Q299796

Patch NOT Found MS00-079 Q276471

Patch NOT Found MS01-007 Q285851

Patch NOT Found MS01-013 Q285156

WARNING MS01-022 Q296441

Patch NOT Found MS01-025 Q296185