Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ancker

Linksys Router Port Forwarding

I am behind a Linksys 4 port Cable/DSL Router and I'd like to be able to send and receive files using AIM/ICQ/MSN.

Does anyone know of a way of doing thins WITHOUT making my machine the DMZ Host.

I'd like to know what ports they try to use.

I've tried looking it up in the Logs..but no luck.

Thanks

Ancker

i had the same problem, what i did was set my network up static

and when i want to send a file using the chat program, i forward

all my ports (1 - 65000) on the comp ip that im sending the file with.

never had a problem receiving files though smile

This router is a pain if you want to be a server!

you could also turn off the firewall all together in the filters section where it says block requests instead.

if you forward all the ports to your ip, it will take internet access away from the other computers on your network if you have any frown

i never use dmz but i think the dmz is a bunch of crap because it never helped me when i tried to send files i always had to forward.

I'm not sure, but i think you can forward a few ports maybe and it might work. But I've always just said screw-it and forward all ports for the time that i want to send a file, then change it back.

I hope this helps a little

Forwarding all the ports won't take away connectivity from the other machines, but it will keep anything else from hosting any services other than the IP that everything is directed to. Normally, if you start the session to transfer a file in AIM, you will be able to transfer it. However, the only time I had any issues with this was when the person I was communicating with was also behind some sort of NAT device.

As for the DMZ, it essentially puts the workstation in question "outside" of the "firewall" (umm, NAT is more like it) so that it's fully exposed to all outside traffic for that IP (kinda like when you forward all the ports to one machine). I have seen this used so people can connect to IRC properly, and use Routing and Remote Access in Win2K Server as a VPN (not that it makes any sense, since you could just do away with the router in this case, but that's just me... :)) hosting server.

You can try running the auto configure option in AIM to see if it will find another port that is more suitable. If I find any more info on this, I will post it.

One more thing, the router kicks a$$*...

wink

*For a consumer-level broadband sharing device.

I've tried forwarding all my ports and dmz both,

i've tried turning the firewall off altogether.

When i host a game like starcraft or a half life server

knowone can connnect still

unless i unplug my modem from the router and plug it directly into the back of my machine lol.

this all with dhcp turned off to

dhcp is supposed to give probs with this to so i set it up static.

it just doesnt work with this router...

my brother has this router as well we've played for some time

until we were to frustrated lol

if you dont wanna be a server or send files or whatever, the router is a pretty convenient tool to use for lots of ppl hehe

Any router you buy is going to give you some problems when trying to send files via ICQ or IM, or the like. I have a D-Link DI-704 router and I still havnt been able to figure out how to send files via ICQ. Small price to pay if you ask me.

As far as running servers, I run a Web, Email, FTP, and Antivirus server behind my firewall (well these are the servers that access the outside net), with absolutely no problems. I also use Morpheus, and the Gnutella network with no problems. I have hosted games of Quake, Half Life, Age of Empires, Warcraft, Diablo II.. to name a few... all with no problems. The only thing was that I need to figure out which port to forward.

That router is more expensive than mine was, so I know it's got to have a few more features. As far as sending files from IM/ICQ/MSN... you prolly can't do it being behind a router...and that is ANY router, not just the Linksys.

after thinking about it, the router is fast. I wasnt thinking of the good features only the negative...lol its not so bad afterall smile

I know for me, I had to forward port 113 to my computer on my router (linksys 4pt) to be able to use Identd. The problem is that my computer would claim what I am, and Identd then goes back to check. When it cant find port 113, or nothing behind it. it fails. Now that I have it forwarding to my computer, it answers and I get a successful connection. 5190 is AOL IM's port. Im not sure if its the same with filetransfer. Forward taht port to your computer and try it. It does get confusing when you're dealing with both people behind a nat or firewall. Also, here is a site that I go to to check out what port does what.. maybe itll help some of you guys

http://www.ec11.dial.pipex.com/port-num.htm

have fun..

jeff

Quote:
Any router you buy is going to give you some problems when trying to send files via ICQ or IM, or the like. I have a D-Link DI-704 router and I still havnt been able to figure out how to send files via ICQ. Small price to pay if you ask me.

Have u figured this one out yet????

I can send files, but not accept....is there a port that ICQ requests that I can "forward" to my computer????

If you are looking to protect from internal as well as external enemies, then whatever "protection" NAT affords will never be good enough. If you want to totally lock down your network, you will need a several layer protection scheme. It may start with a true firewall (one that can lock down all internally and externally sourced traffic across any port), along with local network traffic monitors that will detect machines going into promiscuous mode and report them to the admin and/or give warnings to those that attempt to pick up these packets. I use Network Monitor from SMS 2.0, and you can configure your primary "targets" (ones that I monitor for load) to read for unauthorized traffic. This is a very simple method, of course, but if you are totally concerned about this type of compromise, then you should look at intrusion detection solutions. Of course, these vary in what they do and their price, but hey, you're worth it, right?

smile

i dont have money for anything of that sort. In fact i use a Linksys cable/dsl router and it has been great protection for me.

Overall i honestly do like this router. (more so now than i did before, after ready your replys). smile

The only that i can possibly have against the router, is the issue establishing direct connections using many programs, and even to a select few web servers i've had a problem.

The way i've fixed it was by temporarily plugging my modem directly into the back of the workstation i was using to connect.

Do people have this same problem when behind cisco routers?

if not, just out of curiousity, why not?

Basically, for the average home user, NAT is about as much "protection" as they are going to need. By default, it won't accept incoming packets that weren't requested and SYN/ACK attacks don't do any good since the NAT device won't know who to forward them to. But, that's about it.

If you like the router now, then cool. Otherwise, if you just want to find holes in the unit (as a product), well that's easy enough. It was never meant to "secure" a network no matter what the brochure reads, and can't do what true security products like the ones mentioned will. Also, the problems that you have been having with certain applications are the same ones that happen with any NAT system without special tweaks being employed.

Good luck with HTTPort. Post what happens.

trying to get this app to work. I've been asking them on their message board for help but unfortunately they dont have a good forum like this one frown (kind of dead)

Ill let you know how it goes, but so far no luck with direct connect and linksys

i was able to receive and send files via ICQ while behind a router/switch (Ugate-3100). Seems you have to go into preferences in ICQ -> Connections -> User and tick on under Advanced Users 'Not using proxy' then the default 'Use dynamically allocated port number'

Thats what i did and it works, hth

ya i like icq its a better program in my opinion then msn messenger.

i also got it to work through the linksys with aim by right clicking the nickname and clicking connect to send im smile

about httport no luck, the program is meant for proxies.

Although im happy with the router now because people seem to be writing their programs better for this type of situation. Like icq smile

it has an ipsec passthrough and pptp passthrough feature in it.

I'm going to accompany a friend of mine on a job to set up a vpn, and im thinking to myself, why not use the linksys router. smile

Anyone out there ever use it with vpn? If yes, how has your experience been doing it with a linksys router?

good? bad? interesting? let me know smile