Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pseudoninja

SuSE changed it's mind about my mouse...

hey people,

today i tried an evaluation cd of SuSE (live based, on-the-fly). while it was loading during the boot splash it supported my standard usb mouse. but then when the desktop began to load, the mouse pointer was left helpless in the middle of the screen. the light was still on but nobody home.

i like the looks of SuSE and am considering using it instead of XP, but only if it will be able to support all my hardware like windows can.

any ideas?

i'm running p4 2.4, soltek sl-85mir mainboard, and netcomm winmodem.

Yeah, try Mepis. You can check your compatibility with the live CD and if you like it (you will), install to your HD. Your winmodem may or may not be supported (by any Linux).

Yeah, there's a good answer. Try another distro that I like. ;(

I ran into a similar problem with Mepis on one computer. I eventually grabbed a spare mouse.

I have also seen Mandrake install start the install ok, but when I selected what I thought was the right mouse setings, my mouse pointer would jump all over the screen (this has happened in several Mandrake versions). I let Mandrake stick with the wrong setting and once the desktop was loaded, I set it correctly with no problems.

The point is, the 'X' configuration is not truly "finished" until a complete install. Did you reboot, and see if that helped? What mouse do you have? The mouse is directly related to the X configuration, so check your video and mouse settings. A quick way to restart X is to hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and see if anything changes. If you can't get around ot that way, try changing USB ports... if it is a USB mouse... and restart. If you can't get anything to work or use the GUI tools, then you will have to edit the file manually. I am not sure if it is in the same location in SUSE, but Xconfig file is usually located in /etc/X11.

FYI, I was able to get my winmodem(which I couldn't in other distros) to work in SUSE. I was lucky enough to find Linux drivers from the manufacturer (Intel HAM Driver). SUSE's included dial up tool (not KPPP) was the easiest I had ever used. smile

Yep, once the bios let go of the mouse and Linux took over, this is where the issues began. It is possible to get it going, once installed on the hard drive, but it will require some work.

Some report that the winmodem (designed as a softmodem to work in windows) will work, with the LT drivers. See the following;

http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2001-March/010261.html

Quote:
I ran into a similar problem with Mepis on one computer. I eventually grabbed a spare mouse.

The earlier version of Mepis had the problem with the usb mouse. The latest release has corrected that problem. Easiest way to correct it is to plug in a ps2 mouse when you install and change it in your kde mouse settings once you're up. I assume that Mandrake is having the same issues.

Quote:
If you can't get anything to work or use the GUI tools, then you will have to edit the file manually. I am not sure if it is in the same location in SUSE, but Xconfig file is usually located in /etc/X11.

If I were a new user, I'd consider that a 'fatal' flaw ;-).

Quote:
FYI, I was able to get my winmodem(which I couldn't in other distros) to work in SUSE. I was lucky enough to find Linux drivers from the9 manufacturer (Intel HAM Driver). SUSE's included dial up tool (not KPPP) was the easiest I had ever used. smile

But not all winmodems are equally complyant. YMMV greatly ;( .

Update:

I got the mouse to work by entering pcmi=off in the boot command laugh

I can't get my Winmodem to work by using the gui (we're in SuSE, KDE here) or my usb flash drive to work. The usb mouse is the test to make sure SuSE can support usb under my chipset (i485G), so why can't it use my flash disk eh?

Incidently, I'm running Lindows right now on the fly. It supports my usb mouse, mounts my little flash drive on the desktop and is using my Winmodem all without a hitch. Nice. But I want to use SuSE- don't ask me why okay, I'm not into being practical and I just like it better.

8)

Ah... Stubbornness and tenacity in the face of logic :x ... You'll do well in Linux wink

Yes, Lindows auto mounts the flash drive. Also, they have included in the kernel the LT winmodem driver. So, this is most likely what you need to get the modem working.

What flash drive do you have?

Are you sure that the flash drive is not mounted? It may not come up as an icon on the desktop. Look in /mnt and see if an entry is there for the drive, such as flash...stick...whatever.

In a console, type dmesg and see if usb-storage is loaded. Look for a line that states the designation of the flash drive, like sda...

If that is there and it is not mounted somewhere, then, as root, in a console, make a directory for the flash drive..

mkdir /mnt/flash

Then try to mount it with...

mount /dev/sda (whatever the number assigned is) /mnt/flash

or maybe...

mount -t vfat /dev/sda (whatever the number assigned is) /mnt/flash

I haven't yet tried the console commands danleff, but do you happen to know why suse DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING UNDER /MNT !!!??? I can't access my hard drives or anything. Both drives are detected by the hardware manager and the partitions are recognised, so I don't think I have any hardware problems. My flash disk by the way is a 128MB Apacer. There are devices under /dev, but there doesn't seem to be anything mounted or useable...

I'll try dmesg when I can get back home though, thanks people!!! wink

SUSE should have placed icons on the desktop for the partitions that it detected, such as data1...data2.... When you click on a data icon, it should mount the cooresponding partition.

Look in fstab and see what each data partition assignment is. you can then change the name of the icon to your choosing.