Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JBoDEAN

Chkdsk?

When I run checkdisk after rebooting in win2k, i can never tell if i have bad sectors on my hd. Is there another way to scan my hd for bad sectiors? I have a feeling I have a bad drive.

With all the replies I got, I decided to go with the majory, and get Norton Utiliteis 2001. Now taht I have that, when I reboot, ti always loads chkdsk. Any way to make it use diskdoctor on bootup, opposed to chkdsk?

8) 8)Norton Utilities will F-up your system faster than the FBI can lose a computer. Trust me, here, my system went downhill in 2 days. It screws up your registry, and if you don't have some way to recover it, you are looking at a nice reinstall.:(Get that crap off your system ASAP! 8)

The only components worth it on NU are the antivirus and defragger.

There are more than a few people here that will vouch for the problems this program causes.

Don't say you weren't warned. Get rid of that now, or suffer it's consequences.

Dear fellow, I must disagree with you on Norton Utilities. Norton Utilities have the POTENTIAL to mess up your system, IF AND ONLY IF they are not handled properly. Norton Utilities seems to be troublesome under win9x/Me, but under windows 2000 its a different story!

Anyways, regardless of what my or your opinion is on the Norton Utilities suite, you must admit that at least Norton Disk Doctor does a better job at finding and recovering disk errors than Scandisk or chkdsk. For instance, chkdsk might not be able to recover from a "sector not found" error, or somthing similar, but in NDD, you're almost guranteed that it'll detect it and fix it safely.

However, if you STILL don't like Norton Utilities, that's understandable, and its certainly your choice to make. I just felt obliged to point out that's its not all bad (if at all). :-)

cool

I've just had it screw up my registry so bad it was time to reinstall the OS. And this has happened every time I used it. The only Norton stuff I use are Norton Internet Security and AntiVirus.

Well I guess if its problematic for you, its wise not to use it. Personally, I haven't had any problems with the NU site, but I heard a lot of people do/did, so I do beleive you. Good luck anyways. :-)

You'll find the result fróm the check in the EventLog->application log->winlogon

/Toby

I can vouch for Brian Frank.

Did the same with me.

After a clean install, I re-installed NU and ran the registry checker, it "fixed" some errors, rebooted and BAM

NTLDR missing

hahahaha

I keep getting File or Folder is corrupt on my c drive.

HOW do i scan / fix the problem? CHKDSK is a joke. You guys dont like norton, what are my options???

I like Norton just fine!!! I suggest you make the Norton Disk Doctor boot disks (rescue disks) and use them to check your hard drive. Be forewarned though, this may not work on NTFS drives / partitions. Use you can also use windows 2000 itself to scan your hard drive. Go to My computer, right click the drive or partition to scan, and choose properites. Then go to the tools tab and select "check now" to check it for errors! good luck!

Symantec makes great utilities etc, however; NU is not for W2k. only thing i install with it are Disk Doctor and Speed Disk.

The rest is messy do not use them.