Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarU

Man....what am i doing wrong??

*sigh*

i know ive asked you guys before, but i didn't get many replies and my problem is still at hand. I guess the bottom line is, i have a great system, but im getting HORRIBLE performance. In Half Life/Counterstrike i get an average of 40FPS!!!! The screen is so choppy...i can barely even play the damn game. What do you think is the problem?? Here are my system specs....with these specs i should be getting an average of around 70 FPS in half life.

Asus A7V

AMD Thunderbird 800 Mhz.

Asus V7700 Geforce 2 GTS PRO

512 megs pc-133 micron RAM

SBLive!

40 gig ATA-66 7200 RPM Western Digital drive

I am running the 12.xx drivers off of Nvidia's site for my video card. Everything has latest drivers, DX8, pretty much everything is fully up to date. What is going on here? Anyone got any suggestions?

Oh yeah, my refresh rate is 85hz. I have Vsync turned OFF. I am not running Anti Aliasing. Its just not making any sense to me. I would really appreciate the opinions of you avid gamers out there. Thanks guys.

I like using the 10.80 dets. I played with the dets up through the 12.10s, and they just weren't getting any faster, and the 10.80's were the fastest I've tested.

That's what I'd do.

try the 8.04's man, i love them, i know what you mean Brian, for the the 12.90's were a little better than the 12.41's. now the 8.04's woohoo they're so much better for me.

Installed the via 4-in-1s? Specifically the agp driver?

Thx for the replies guys. Well, i guess i could try those drivers, although i doubt they will give me an extra 30 fps, but i guess ya never know. And yeah, i have the 4 in 1's installed. frown Anything else you guys think of?

This trick has worked for a couple of my friends and I really don't know why. Try turning your sound card to using emulation only. Sometimes, especially with the SB Live!, games get really bad performance. Like I said it worked for a couple of friends of mine and I still don't know why, because they had the latest and greatest SBLIve drivers and such.

anyhoo...just a thought.

Thx Donald...i will try that. At this point, i am willing to try anything. Its just not making sense. I used to get this kind of performance when i was running a celeron 400 with a voodoo 3 2000 pci. I'd hate to think i wasted all this money upgrading to a "supposedly" better system. Once again guys, i really appreciate the replies. I can usually count on this place to iron out the kinks i get with gaming. So, thanks again, and please keep em coming. Does anyone know why i would be getting this poor performance? What peripherals would cause this low performance with a high end machine?

Have you checked your BIOS settings regarding the AGP parts?

For the AGP Driving Value, I have my jacked all the way up to FF, and the AGP set at 4x.

You also might want to snag the 1007 BIOS if you don't have that. It fixed problems I didn't even know were even remotely related to the BIOS.

I'm running an MX and I get smooth framerates.

Of course, once I get that GF2Pro in my duallie, things are gonna fly like hell:D

Yup, check yer bios settings.

Try typing fps_max 99 in the console while playing CS. Maybe the limit it set at 40.