Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vermyn

Please lay off the Fedora Core announcements

What is the deal with *every* updated package of Fedora Core getting the top billing at this site? It's starting to get ridiculous. If you would like to post updates to packages of Fedora Core, why aren't you posting package updates for other distros like Gentoo, Debian or Mandrake?

Please examine the posting policy of this. I could honestly care less about Fedora Core and there are plenty of websites that cover these updates. Why not an RSS newsfeed to one of them?

I lost interest in Red Hat when they decided on using Gnome for their default desktop. The Fedora project is interesting, but, from what I've heard, It's buggy as hell. In my opinion, just a way for Red Hat to debug their Distro while not using in-house resources.

While I'm not an avid fan Fedora, I really don't see anything coming out for much else in the last week or so. You want them to make up something? Guess that that's what there is to report ;-). I think that you'll find that when another Distro is released/updated that this site reports that too.

We may want to see more coverage of Distros other than Fedora, but, we have to remember that there are quite a few people who are interested in Fedora, and, I don't think that the coverage is any more biased here than at any other site... Fedora is just a very active (and buggy) project.

Quote:
If you would like to post updates to packages of Fedora Core, why aren't you posting package updates for other distros like Gentoo, Debian or Mandrake?

Done. I just added Gentoo and Mandrake to the news system.

Debian has already his own category. However, there are much less updates because Debian.org release only security updates for the stable branch.

Any other distro requests?

jimf43, If Fedora Core 1 is buggy, that has not been my experience at all. In fact, I've been so impressed with it's stability, features and speed, that I'm actually contemplating an upgrade to two of my radio station machines to it from Mdk 9.

I ran RH 9 for quite a while, and there were unresolvable issues with it that were very annoying. I could never run Nautilus as user. I would get anywhere from 2 to 10 CORBA errors when trying to run it. I tried every proposed solution I googled and none of them worked. There was also a similar issue when trying to run KDE apps, with the DCOP server error, and you couldn't run Konqueror as root from user login. Both problems occurred regardless of DE used. Then there were these horrible fonts which abounded in many of the apps. Thankfully, all these problems vanished when I upgraded to Fedora. I've been as impressed with it as I was when Mdk 9 came out. Yes it is still early, and I may run into similar problems as I go, but so far, Fedora has been a real solid breath of fresh air compared to RH 9.

Philipp, please continue to post the Fedora updates. The added Gentoo and Mandrake updates should certainly be a welcome addition for those who use those distros. For those of us who don't, it should be a fairly simple matter to just disregard them.

Perhaps a good feature for your CMS, Philip, would give the user the ability to ignore certain news categories... smile

And thank you for the Gentoo news. I swear by Gentoo and will stick with it... for those of you who haven't tried it and the RPM-based distros give you headaches, you really should give it a try!

Quote:
If Fedora Core 1 is buggy, that has not been my experience at all. In fact, I've been so impressed with it's stability, features and speed, that I'm actually contemplating an upgrade to two of my radio station machines to it from Mdk 9.
I ran RH 9 for quite a while, and there were unresolvable issues with it that were very annoying. I could never run Nautilus as user. I would get anywhere from 2 to 10 CORBA errors when trying to run it. I tried every proposed solution I googled and none of them worked. There was also a similar issue when trying to run KDE apps, with the DCOP server error, and you couldn't run Konqueror as root from user login. Both problems occurred regardless of DE used. Then there were these horrible fonts which abounded in many of the apps. Thankfully, all these problems vanished when I upgraded to Fedora. I've been as impressed with it as I was when Mdk 9 came out. Yes it is still early, and I may run into similar problems as I go, but so far, Fedora has been a real solid breath of fresh air compared to RH 9.

Hi Dan,

I started out with rpm Distros, tried Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSe. My objections to Red Hat are similar to the ones you stated. I almost stayed with Mandrake 9.0 but later releases seemed worse. IMO corporately controlled Distros are too affected by extraneous factors such as economics and cash flow ;-). I really don't doubt that Fedora is better than the old Red Hat. Apparently the Red Hat plan of outsourcing the project to the open source community is working ;-).

Quote:
Philipp, please continue to post the Fedora updates. The added Gentoo and Mandrake updates should certainly be a welcome addition for those who use those distros. For those of us who don't, it should be a fairly simple matter to just disregard them.

As you know, I've setteled on a Debian Distro as my personal choice. Debian is not as stogy as its reputation 'if' you use the 'testing' and 'unstable' builds judiciously. So far I really like the Debian way of doing things. And, to get back to point, Sure, I'd like to see more news about Debian development 'other than the stable release stuff' smile. Still, I think that Philipp does an excelent & ballanced job of reporting news for the Linux community. After all Linux is about choice, isn't it? IMHO Vermyn, you're being unreasonable to expect anything else. If you really want 'only' Gentoo news releases, then go to the Gentoo site.

Quote:
IMHO Vermyn, you're being unreasonable to expect anything else. If you really want 'only' Gentoo news releases, then go to the Gentoo site.

I apologize, I did not mean for my comments to be perceived this way. I did not intend to turn Philipp into solely a Gentoo user. My objective was to get Gentoo and other distros added to the mix of coverage on this site, which he has thankfully done. I probably could help out by submitting more Gentoo news to him and will try to do so in the future.

As for the other facets of this thread - I did not intend to start another distro war. I'm simply trying to point out that not everyone uses Fedora.

It should be noted that I think Debian is a fine distro. I thoroughly enjoy Debian but I decided I wanted to go for something a little more intensive to learn about Linux in general... hence, Gentoo.

Nah...no distro war, just preferences depending on the needs of the user, which are varied and each person has a favorite.

A matter of choice, which is what it is all about.

However, Fedora has been the most stable and the easiest to add packages on my systems. I also have the following on my systems;

Mandrake 10 - nice and stable with KDE 3.2 and kernel 2.6.0

Lindows - ease of use, especially for anyone who wants a less user intensive environment. Ease of package installation.

Debian - takes some tweaking, but when you get it right...

SUSE-PRO - ease of use

Mepis and Knoppix - packed with features and utilities and the easiest way to install a Debian flavor distro on your hard disk.

Linux from Scratch If you really want to dive in and build from scratch, a great way to learn the ins and outs of Linux.

The issue is hardware compatibility and finding the distro that has the featues that you like and works on all your hardware!

BTW I run Fedora with KDE 3.2, which a great! but, of course, takes effort to get it to work correctly.

Quote:
I probably could help out by submitting more Gentoo news to him and will try to do so in the future.

That's a great idea. I'll certainly read it.

Quote:
As for the other facets of this thread - I did not intend to start another distro war. I'm simply trying to point out that not everyone uses Fedora.

I know, and, 'we all' tend to get passonate about our favorate Distro But not to the point of war please ;-).

Quote:
It should be noted that I think Debian is a fine distro. I thoroughly enjoy Debian but I decided I wanted to go for something a little more intensive to learn about Linux in general... hence, Gentoo.

laugh I'm still learning on Debian. The problem is that I have only so much time . Sooner or later I'll probably get to Gentoo, maybe even Fedora... But, for now, I have my plate full with Debian. :x

I have the forums bookmarked and rarely go to the 'home' page, so I haven't noticed the news part. I am a lot more interested in what you people have to say than a bunch of 'news releases'! I usually find out the news about the distros I like in the forums as soon, if not sooner, in here than I can on the distros' sites themselves... 8)

I know distro wars can be compared to religious wars but im really into redhat production especially fedora and see it going places ive tried all distros out that i can find and find redhat ones to be my favorite but i spend most of my time on this board

the reason is its a great resource excellent members and awesome news

Quote:

laugh I'm still learning on Debian. The problem is that I have only so much time . Sooner or later I'll probably get to Gentoo, maybe even Fedora... But, for now, I have my plate full with Debian. :x

Me, too! 8)