Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
test_client

*Permanent* network connection

I would like to create a permanent network connection between two computers.

\\computer1\public - public share on computer1 (standalone W2K server).

I would like the second computer to automatically map this share located on the first computer regardless of which user logs on to the second computer.

In other words I want the share on the first computer look and feel like a logical disk on the second computer, as if it were hard wired.

We would like to avoid assigning and using logon scripts for individual users or groups. Mapping should work for the computer rather than the users, and if at all possible mapping routine should be called only once when the computer starts up.

I tried a batch file for GroupPolicies|Machine|Scripts|Startup, but group policies does not seem to allow creating new permanent connections. The batch file gets called, but mapping doesn't stay put.

Is there any easy way around this?

Any thoughts will be appreciated

you could put the BAT file (or a link) in \Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup...

Yes, I shall try that and it may work just fine. However I was trying to avoid connecting and disconnecting with each logon.

Also this connection is to be used by a service when nobody is logged on. That is the reason to avoid linking the mapping to computer users.

The GroupPolicy for the computer would be an ideal place for this, but as far as I know the GroupPolicy does not let you create new connections.

Mapped drives are a per-user configuration, a machine cannot have a mapped drive (what would it do with it??), only users can. For your service, just point it to the UNC path (\\server\share) instead of the drive (which won't exist), which shouldn't cause any problems but may not be as asthetically pleasing to you (but who cares? :))

Also keep in mind that if the "Everyone" group doesn't have the necessary permission u want the service to have on the share then u will have to run the service as a user (possibly a domain user if u have a domain) who does.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.

I thought possibly there was an easier way of creating a logical drive so that once it is there it is there. For all practical purposes it would appear as if it were a local disk rather than a share on another computer.

There might be another way. You could check out "dynamic disks", and see if you can mount the network share to a given point on your partition. This is a system-wide function, but I can't remember if it supports UNCs.

If mounting works than it is exactly what I am looking for. That will give me the permanent connection. Is there an option in the Disk Management for mounting computer shares?

In computer management, you can to convert the drive in question to a "dynamic disk". I would recommend trying this with a test drive/partition first. Then, you can create mount points.

About dynamic disks:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q175/7/61.ASP

And here are faqs on dynamic disk conversion and mount points:

http://www.windows2000faq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=13762

http://www.windows2000faq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=13781

http://www.windows2000faq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=13782

I am not sure if they will support UNC paths as of yet, but it could be worth a shot.

Here is another idea,

First make sure you have 2 accounts, administrator and a generic account. Log into the generic account, and set it up exactly how you want it for all of the users. Make sure you map the drive.

Next log in as administrator, set the folder options to show all files. Then copy the account you were in to the "default user" profile (normally hidden). Now any new user accounts will get that setup, and I'm almost certain the mapped drive will work.

If all your user accounts already exist go with the login script on the server or place one in the "all users" profile's startup folder on the workstation.