Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
peterro

Help with FTP

I want to try and set up a FTP on my computer. I'm running w2k pro at the moment, but also got w2k server, and was thinking about using IIS to set it all up.

Just wanted to ask if there is anything particular I should think about. Is 2k pro enough, or should I upgrade to server? I also was thinking of using a Norton Firewall. Since it will be a pure FTP, do I need to open more than port 20/21 in the firewall? Is there any page (other than this, of course;) with help/tutorials/hints for putting up a FTP?

I know this is a lot of questions, but basicly, I just wanna know if there is any "typical" holes to fall in when setting up an FTP, or anything u must NOT do.

ANY help will be deeply appreciated!!!

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treevie...tain/custom.asp

Win2K Pro will usually work fine, however the OS is limited to 10 concurrent connections. That link will illustrate way to customize the service. Also, FTP servers tend to negotiate an alternate port with the client, and some NAT/PAT and firewall systems inhibit this ability. So, clients *may* have to connect via PASV (passive) mode. This should cover most of the issues that I have had in the past.

Also, here's a cool little trick you can do in IIS so that a user is auto-magically redirected to his/her own home directory.

http://iisanswers.com/Top10FAQ/t10-FTPuersfolder.htm

Quote:
Win2K Pro will usually work fine, however the OS is limited to 10 concurrent connections.

Was it 5 in 98???
smile

Has M$ increased this number for win2k pro?

I know the server versions allow alot more concurrent tcp connections right?

NT workstation has always been 10 (at least through 4.0 and 5.0), and I imagine this will carry through to WinXP. I never really considered Win98 PWS for anything other than development of ASP code locally before publishing to a "real" server.

Oh, and server is considered "unlimited".

yah thats what I thought. Its just that many users have 98 on thier machines and some programs we are testing at work (mobile agents) need tcp connections...so the 98 user is kinda fudged. But...Im not involved in this project ... just office talk.

Bummer. Well, if there are problems with the project you could always tell them it's because they can't code worth a damn.

smile