Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
miku

Partitions, Need Urgent Help!

Hi Guys,

I had very bad day today. I was merging my two partition with Partition Magic 6(DOS Based) In the middle, it gave me an error # 45 (CRC) error and told to run scandisk. To my amazement, the drive letter for my main (D:\) was gone. It had my 21 Gig Data. Now I went into fdisk and it showed me that I had two partitions C:\ 8 Gig and an other extended 21.

Now is there a way I can recover the drive letter and gets thing working. Tried everything with Partition Magic. Cant run Scandisk on the 21 Gig partition since no Drive Letter. PQMagic wont let me do anything with the partition, except delete or format it. No Logical Drives are defined in the Extended DOS partition.

Please help me guys.

Thanks.

ARC

The only thing that I could guess, would be to check out www.winternals.com for Disk Commander. I haven't used it, but it seems to do what you are asking.

Norton Disk Doctor (NDD) is SUPERB for fixing such problems. I STRONLGY suggest you use it. see if you can get a tria verion of it, or buy it at http://www.symantec.com

It really does miracles! I've had hard drives shoot out messages like "sector error! can't recover data" and it would fix them, and even make them bootable as they were before! Its a life saver! #1 choice for me and others!

good luck!

PS: PartitionMagic for Windows is probably better than that for DOS. try that???

I don't know about that one...I've had problems with the individual utilities from Norton Utilities screwing up stuff like my registry.

NDD isn't an offender, but I'd still tread carefully.

I'd check out clutch's solution first, but I am speaking from a biased perspective on the NU suite.

It is true that Norton Utilities (in general) may cause your system to mess up or malfunction, especially if not used wisely and with care. However, judging from the fact that you have partition problems, it may be necessary to use such a powerful product as Norton Disk Doctor (NDD), but please don't get me wrong. NDD is probably the best disk fixing utility out there. I've had wonderful experiences with it myself. As I had described, it fixed a problem due to a "sector" error flawlessly, safely, and quickly.

Of coarse, it goes without saying that (if possible) you should salvage whatever critical data and files you can before applying any serious hard drive / partition changes or fixes, but in some case, you need to run such a utility as NDD in the first place to get any disk access!

Good luck.

By the way, other competing products include Nuts and Bolts, Microsoft Scandisk (comes with windows), McAfee utils, etc... So by all means don't feel pressured to use NDD. However, I am just commending the good experience I have had with it, and I would higly recommend it any time!

Good Luck! :-) Let us know if you succeed in fixing your problem! :-) :-) :-)