Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kingtrey

Annoying drive letter problem ...

ok, i put in a Promise DMA66 Controller card a while back and everything's awesome and fine with it. i have 2 harddrives, one 15.5gig drive split into a 6.0 and a 9.5, and one 20.5gig drive. the 15.5gig drive is on the first channel of the DMA66 card and the 20.5gig drive is on the first channel of my onboard controller.

well, i recently reinstalled win2k for various reasons, and now thanks to that card, my "C:" is now "D:" ... in other words, the 6.0gig partition that's supposed to be C: is now registed as D:, even though my operating system is installed on it. the other 20.5gig drive, that used to be D:, is now registered as C:! the 9.5gig partition is still E: like its supposed to be.

everything works fine and my OS is running fine etc, but this is pretty annoying to have to get used to. i know that partition magic comes with a utility for remapping drives etc, but i don't know if thats safe to use, especially with one of the drives being my system drive. my question is, is there a way to change those 2 drive letters around WITHOUT opening my case and jacking with anything? (i know i could always move the drives temporarily and reinstall windows, but i'd rather not have to reinstall it again) so i want to know the best procedure for doing this from within windows if there is one.

afaik, there is no way to change the drive letter of a system partition without reinstalling..... sorry!

There IS a simple way to change the drive letter. It may affect the functioning of some programs though so beware!

go to computer management (right click My Computer, and choose Manage). Then go to Disk Management, and right click the drive or partition you want to chaneg the letter of, and choose Change drive letter! good luck!

:-)

cool

Yes, that will work for most partitions, but as I said, not for the system partition. Go ahead, try it, I dare you.... wink

yeah i tried a while back to use the Disk Admin, but it even tells you that it won't let you change a system partition. even partition magic highly recommends that i don't try it, so i'll probably just leave it as is for now, its not that big a deal anyways

Cool! good luck. This feature of Disk admin that can change drive letters is really nice. I wish iwn9x/Me would have something like it.

I did the same thing. I installed after booting to my WinME system.

When I reinstalled it, I disconnected the winME drive and booted from the 2k CD, and installed 2k.

System drive is now C: