Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ravage

/dev/dsp no such device (sound)

I am trying to break free a windows and am very new to linux ,I have searched many forums and while this is the most common problem I can't find information that I understand/applies to me.

I am running knoppix (debian) and am trying to get my soundblaster audigy to do anything.When I start Kde I get "/dev/dsp no such device using null output device" or something to that effect.

lsmod =

emu10k1-gp 1224 0 (unused)

gameport 1388 0 [emu10k1-gp]

through my searching I am confident that I require the driver emu10k1.o ,and modules make no sense to me and what's this "-gp" all about?

how exactly do I get my driver to be applied?

You need to set up ALSA:

www.alsa-project.org.

Here's a mini-howto:

www.alsa-project.org/~valentyn/Alsa-sound-mini-HOWTO.html

There is a step in the process where all the necessary entries in /dev are defined.

I still can't get most of the ALSA stuff to work ,I could be way off but it appears to me that the knoppix filetree is non-standard and the programs can't find their way when I try to make.Do I need to get a real version of linux or just keep pluging away?

Once you install Knoppix, you will in essence, have Debian, which *should* have the packages you need installed via apt-get. emu10k1.o should also be available as you will have access to the Debian apt repositories. Doing a quick apt-get on my wife's laptop, I find listed:

alsa-base 1.0.2c-3

I get synaptic going and queue alsa-base and it also queues alsa-utils ,but alsa-utils will not install ,this is what I get:

trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/alsamixer', which is also in package knx-alsa dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (broken pipe)

does the broken pipe mean my program in leaking out of the computer? j/k smile ,what counter steps should I now take?

OK ,realized since I never got this far I never bothered to search the intarweb fer info ,this is where I now stand...

figured how to force overwrite of the alsa-utils ,then it cries that it can't configure because alsa-base is not configured.Did apt-get install alsa-base

Setting up libasound2 (1.0.1-1) ...

Setting up libfltk1.1c102 (1.1.4-3) ...

Setting up alsamixergui (0.9.0rc2-1-4) ...

Setting up libasound2-dev (1.0.1-1) ...

Setting up libasound0.4 (0.4.1e-10.2) ...

Setting up alsa-utils (1.0.2-1) ...

Setting up alsa-base (1.0.2c-3) ...

I start getting excited then I config the alsa-base and setup my proper driver but I still get the same error. "/dev/dsp no such device using null output device.Any other ideas?

Well it's looking like I gotta rebuild my kernel for a good permenant alsa install ,but all is not lost ,if run off the CD with the "knoppix alsa" argument I have sound.So I'll just run that way while I learn about kernels and the like.Thank you for all the help to this point ,it's got me in the right direction.

I can't belivce the simplicity of it but I got it working.All I did was type "alsa_init" at shell prompt.w00t ,gloriouse sound.

Originally posted by Ravage:

Quote:

figured how to force overwrite of the alsa-utils ,then it cries that it can't configure because alsa-base is not configured.Did apt-get install alsa-base

I'm having this same problem, except with a different sound card -- how did you convince apt to overwrite??