Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mistral

Network sharing problem in XP

OK, before anybody responds with, "its a reset.exe problem", its not. I have not used any method of cracking activation on my installs, I used a 60 day activation key.

Problem: I have 2 comps on a home LAN, one running WinMe, the other running a dual boot WinMe/XP(various attempts from RC1 to 2532). Both comps connect to each other by way of my DSL router, which also enables both comps access to the internet. The comps both have the same subnet mask and the same workgroup (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2, workgroup:mshome), and can ping each other. Now, when trying to acces the XP/WinMe shares with the WinMe machine, it connects no problem, nice and fast. On the other hand when I try to connect to the WinMe shares with the XP boot of the XP/WinMe machine, it takes forever to connect, and when it does, any subfolder also takes forever to connect (forever being close to a minute). Sometimes it even crashes out completely.

As you can see, this is totally unacceptable for a supposedly business orientated OS. Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a fix for it?

BTW, no firewall is enabled on the XP machine and both comps are connecting by way of the TCP/IP protocol. Both machines have the same username with no pass. The only thing I can see that is strange is that the XP login for the WinMe shares seems to try to login as //WinMe/guest even though there is no "guest" account setup on the WinMe machine.

I look forward to hearing of any experience anyone has had with this. It is so annoying to have followed an OS since Beta 1, only to find at the last minute M$ have introduced a bug so important as this one.

Regards,

Mistral

----------------

Specs:

XP/WinMe Comp WinMe comp

AMD Athlon 1.333MHz PIII 450

256Mb RAM 384Mb RAM

HD 40Gb Seagate HD 40Gb Western Digital

GeForce 2MX 400 TNT2 M64

Both have Realtek 8139 compatible Network cards

3com OfficeConnect 812 DSL Router

Good luck on geting a response. I have the same exact problem and no one seems to know what is going on. My thread is still on the first page. See if my problem matches yours exactly.

No, we all know what is going on but this is a well known and well documented effect that Win2K exhibits too. You could have simply taken a look in the Win2K forums for your answer. The reason you don't get much of a response here is because not many people are bothering with the various XP builds.

To quote my own response in a Win2K networking thread:

"The slow network browsing is due to Win2K. Delete this registry key on your Win2K machine:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

By default, Win2K is always searching for scheduled tasks on any machine you network to. Deleting this key stops Win2K from doing just that. It solved my problem of taking nearly a full minute to connect to my WinME machines."

No, I did see that thread, and tried everything suggested in it, still doesn't work. Networking is slow as hell. I hope that someone comes up with a real solution soon.