Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pizu

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X Serv

when type: startx i'm having this error:

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X Server ":0.0"

haow can i config this so that i can rub KDE and not from the dos!

How about giving a little more information on your system specs?

This most likely is a hardware issue, such as a setting for the video card or monitor resolution. In modern distros, you should not have to load startx. Nedding to do so usually means that something is amiss, generally with hardware.

What distro are you using?

Is this a laptop or desktop?

What video card and monitor do you have?

Did your video card and other hardware seem to get detected on install? For example, on some distros, install allows you to view the monitor settigs to see if they work. It gives you an example to try of the resolution and such to see if the config. works.

Were there any other messages that proceeded the error that you gave that might give us a clue, such as "no usable ...configuration found."

And finally, are you logging in as root or user when you tried running startx from console mode?

I very common problem with this are the monitor settings. But let's see what you got first.

it's on a pentium 1 - compaq.. linux version: mandrake 9.2

i'm a newbie on linux!

compaq - Prolinea 575

sorry i forgot to reply about this:

And finally, are you logging in as root or user when you tried running startx from console mode?

yes i'm logining within my root then i typed startx

First, this PC is an older model and the issue is if mandrake 9.2 will run on it.

If I am correct, 266 mhz processor?

How much RAM is in the system?

How large of a hard drive? Did you allow Mandrake to takeover the hard drive (use the entire hard drive) or a partition. I know that these systems have a small hard drive, but the issue is that there is also a small hidden partition that holds some configuration dtaa on it. If this gets wiped, then you may have some issues.

Try logging on as user and see if startx works.

I hope that this is just a test system and not your main system?

If Mandrake will not run, I would suggest a live cd version of a distro. This way, you get to see if it will run off the cd. If it does, then you know that you can do a hard drive install.

I also think that Admiral suggests Gentoo as an alternative, but also consider Mepis.

The other option is Knoppix, which is based on Debian and may fair better on this older system.

I had a laptop like this and Libranet (an older version) ran fairly well.

hmm...

10x for the help, the thing is that i had some probs on settings the conf of the moniter and ram so i did it fast and didn't test it, basicly 99% i have 32mb of ram but the moniter don't know!

i did everything you had replyed!

btw! it's installed in 1 of my crappy pc's that i have so that i will test it there and then afther everything is done i will do it on another pc!

so you think that if i install debian it will be more realable for this pc or?

I may get flamed for this, but 32 mb ram coupled with the processor ain't going to cut it.

Besides, you want to run a live cd on a system that you will actually run it on.

Pick another PC, run a live cd on it. This way you won't actually install the distro until you see if everything works.

Check the system requirements for the distro that you choose, as well as your hardware against what is supported.

The startx problem is telling you that it doesn't like the video card or monitor settings. To get it going, you will most likely need to know the monitor's horizontal and vertical resolutions.

Apparently Mandrake could not find a usable configuration, or during the install, you did not choose the correct settings for the monitor and video card's capabilities.