Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kingtrey

DSL question

ok, if i have a DSL going into a computer (via PCI card or USB) and i also have a network card in that machine, can i output the DSL from the network card to the uplink port on my 5-port switch and then plug other computers into the switch to share the connection? if so, how do i go about doing that with either Win98 or Win2k?

yeah you can do this but you need an ip address for each computer.

there are a few ways that you can do this if you want to share the connection this way.

One way is to order an ip address for each computer that wants the internet from your isp.

Another way is buy a router plug your dsl into the router, then plug the router into your uplink port on your hub.

Or you can use proxie software.

Good luck smile

ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) is built into Win2K and Win98, and you can also use software like Sygate and Wingate. You can even some little free ones at www.download.com if you do a search for "proxy".

If you've got an old box lying around, give smoothwall a go. It'll share your net conenction PLUS it's damn good firewall too. USB DLS won't be supported for a few days yet, but check it out anyways.

SmoothWall

If you have win2k, you can use NAT on the lan's NIC. You set that nic as the default gateway, and in the network settings of the win2k system enable... hmm I think it was called ip routing.I know it is the last tab in the tcp/ip advanced settings, whatever it is called. I don't need to go there often, as I don't setup a win2k router everyday.