Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mrobins3

What's a good network card for Mandrake 9.2

I am giving up on getting my old "ne2000" compatible to work in Mandrake 9.2

can anyone recommend a good replacement that will work w/o alot of screwing around?

Many if not most Nics will work under Linux, and most are very inexpensive, $10-$15. Linksys works good. Refresh my memory on why you believe your card isn't working..

Edit: Never mind, I went back and read your post. If a new nic doesn't fix the problem, their may be router issues. Are using a wired connection from that router in the basement?

yes, it's a wired connection using cat5 and a linksys router. the ne2000 card is very very old, and just a clone and that's probably the reason for the compatibility issue. the nic works fine in windows (win 95 even). It seems easier just to buy a new card ...

Linksys routers work well with Linux, so I think you are right about the card. One thing though, how long a run is it from the router to you box? I have one run that is very long and the new 10/100 cars will not work with it. I have to use an older "10" card for it to work right. I'm not sure why. I think Belkin NICs will work with Linux and Dlink. I've found most new NICs will and are very cheap.

the router is in the basement and the computer on the second floor so it's a pretty good distance.

thanks for the advice

Check and make sure the cat5 cable is not running parallel to any electrical wires. This can cause it not to work for sure. If you find that your wire is close to an electric cord, get it as far away from it as possible. This could very likely be the cause of your problem, as I've run into nics not working in two locations because of this. When I moved the cat5 cable away from the electrical wires, everything began working. If this doesn't fix it, you may want to consider going wireless.