Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jrc384k

Anyone use HPT370 under XP

I am looking into another motherboard so I can build a system. Anyone have experieces with the HTP370 ATA100RAID controller under Windows XP (more specifically on an Abit KT7A-RAID?)

Yes. I have the Abit KT7-Raid. XP auto installs them by itself. I went to device manager to check, my Raid drivers were installed just fine. Click on the driver details, and the HPT370 drivers are in fact installed.

I currently have my HD on the ATA/100-Raid IDE plug, all is well.

Beautiful!!! Now I can order that mobo. I've had bad experiences with the HPT366 (UDMA66) on my Abit BE6 under Windows 2000 and XP. Hopefully, it will be different with the HPT370.

i would get the kg7-raid better than the kt7&7a because it doesnt use a VIA northbride only a southbridge, VIA is by far the worst company when it comes to south and northbridges, so i am never going to buy another VIA made board again. But the KG7-raid is a damn good board, its hard not to be able to beat it.

Hey,

Its the VIA southbridge that causes all the problems, just remember that. I'd be cautious and wait a little for the AMD 761 Chipset boards to come out with both north and south just for compatibility reasons as the VIA rigs have problems after problems and if you're going DDR the AMD setup is probably perfect for you. I currently own the KT7A-Raid, I like it but for someone who isn't willing to deal with too much tweaking and configuring the AMD route is the way to go.

Just my 2cents

PrinceAli0

I'm loading XP only on my duallie once I pick up my P3 800's tommorrow, and I'll let ya know how I fair. Just need to get the newest drivers here, and I'm all set.

RC1 runs fine. Don't really need to get any drivers downloaded, as XP has HTP370 drivers in it. Hot diggity!:D

Yup. Just found that out. When I ht F6 to load the driver, Windows informed me that it already had the driver for the device.

I used to have the KA7-100 mobo. Only reason why I stopped using it was some freak accident where it and a 128 meg of ram somehow got 'toasted' for lack of a better term.

Once in awhile after a day of using XP the system would freeze up, the HDs locked up or something. I installed the HP370 Win2k drivers and the problem went away.

This might of been with with the KA7s and older XP betas though. Just a warning in case it happens to anybody

I know XP comes with the driver smile

I knew that since beta 2 months ago when I installed it, what I was trying to say was install the latest and look at the performance increase, if you have a sound card giving a problem then this is probably a solution for you if you're using your HD on the Raid slots. Again I stress that only if you're booting of the drive that is connected to the raid slots. If you're HD boots off the VIA onboard IDE slots then you probably won't have problems with sound.

Good Luck

I didn't as I've changed the mb twice since Beta 2 and just got the VP6 less than a week ago. It's nice to not have install jack on your config:D

Quote:

Hey,
Its the VIA southbridge that causes all the problems, just remember that. I'd be cautious and wait a little for the AMD 761 Chipset boards to come out with both north and south just for compatibility reasons as the VIA rigs have problems after problems and if you're going DDR the AMD setup is probably perfect for you. I currently own the KT7A-Raid, I like it but for someone who isn't willing to deal with too much tweaking and configuring the AMD route is the way to go.

Just my 2cents
PrinceAli0

From what I've read its the Via Northbridges that are the catalyst for all the troubles with both the SBLive! and the 686b afaik no AMD761 boards using the 686b are affected.