Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jrc384k

XP can't see ME but can ping it

I have my network set up flawlessly under Windows ME - Windows ME under TCP/IP. I just recently installed XP (RC2) (upgraded my dual boot) and now I can't access other computers on the LAN. They can be pinged but not accessed. I've tried searching for the computers by name but they aren't showing up. All LAN computers are on 192.168.1.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (I am using a DSL router so I need to have it set like this). As said earlier everything can be pinged and the internet can be accessed from XP but I cannot get to my drive shares on my WinME computers. When I log on I get an error saying that it cannot establish a network connection with xxx (I get that 3 times one for each LAN computer). Any ideas?

If you installed Home networking the way I think you did then this problem should be easily resolved (I hope).

Home Networking Wizard, by default, enables the XP firewall whenever installing Peer to Peer Networks that share a hub. To remedy this, do the following:

Control Panel > Network Connections

Right click on Local Area Connection, select properties. Choose the last tab "Advanced". Then you'll see whether or not your firewall has been enabled. If it has, uncheck it, if it hasn't, then sorry i'm mistaken.

Hope it helps.

Mistral

In anticipation for a response, I've tried many things. I tried the network wizard first from WinXp then from WinME. Both don't do anything to help this problem. I tried deleting all the TCP/IP stacks on all the computers. That didn't help either (But it did show me a new way of how to get WinME to BSOD). I'm pretty much all out of options. I've posted my problem on several forums and message boards and no one was able to help. It seems like I'm not the only one having this problem. Someone else here posted a similar thread.