Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stpatrick44

PC Speaker beeps everytime I empty my recycle bin

Has anyone else had this problem? It's only happened since I upgraded to Windows 2000. Thanks for the help.

Start -> Control Panel -> Sounds and Multimedia

Change your recycle bin sound to a WAV file and it will stop.

Quote:

Start -> Control Panel -> Sounds and Multimedia

Change your recycle bin sound to a WAV file and it will stop.

No dude, I have sounds Disabled in My Control Panel and it STILL does it.

Two ways: under volume controls, make sure you see PC speaker with the box checked. Or, in Device Manager, disable System speaker.

You also could unplug the speaker from the motherboard if you're really desparate.

could be worse, i messed my RB up and now its ALWAYS full, i can choose empty, but its ALWAYS full!!!(just thinks its full, it actually has nothing in it)

I think windows allways beeps through the pc speaker when no sound is assigned to an event. Try assigning a sound to the empty recycle bin thingie, or use the default windows sound scheme. If you really don't want to use sounds and don't want to hear the beeping then install tweakui and go to the "general" tab, and disable "beep on error"

For the recycle bin that stays allways full try "repair icons" in tweakui. If that doesn't help, don't panic smile After a few days or reboots it will fix itself, dunno why, i got that too sometimes.

Originally posted by rgodart

I think windows allways beeps through the pc speaker when no sound is assigned to an event. Try assigning a sound to the empty recycle bin thingie, or use the default windows sound scheme. If you really don't want to use sounds and don't want to hear the beeping then install tweakui and go to the "general" tab, and disable "beep on error"

For the recycle bin that stays allways full try "repair icons" in tweakui. If that doesn't help, don't panic smile After a few days or reboots it will fix itself, dunno why, i got that too sometimes. [/quote

I Didn't know tweak UI works w/ win 2k.....

The easiest way I have found to disable the annoying recycle bin beep is to do a quick registry edit here:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Sound]

"Beep"="No"

"ExtendedSounds"="No"

Just Set Beep and Extended sounds to no, reboot and you're set....

Quote:

Has anyone else had this problem? It's only happened since I upgraded to Windows 2000. Thanks for the help.

I have sounds disabled, and I get beeps occasionally- when I get email from outlook, and when I empty my recycling bin. Theres prolly a registry hack to turn off the beeping...

I found a way to do it w/o registry hacks.

Open device manager, check "Show hidden devices" in the view menu.

You'll see a long list of "Non Plug and play drivers"

Select "Beep" and disable it.

You will be asked to reboot; do so.

Ta-da!:D The beep is dead.