Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Simon Ngan

Hardware config for a print server serving 500 users

Hi,

I'm planning on building a print server under Windows 2000 workstation and there'll be a total of 500 users connected to it. There won't be 500 concurrent connections but I'd imagine 100-150 at worst. What kind of a computer box would I need for handling a task like this? Would a P2-400MHz with 128MB RAM do it?

Thanks for your input.

Windows Professional only hosts up to 10 concurrent connections. This may be a problem for your layout. As for the hardware under Win2K server, that should be fine (though I think I would opt for 256MB of RAM myself).

Clutch,

Thanks for your reply. Hmm, I didn't think of the limited concurrent licenses with Professional. I might need to op for 2K server but I'm just trying to save money here (getting 2K professional is cheaper than 2K server).

We already have a print server that is Unix based. However, setting up new printer for users is a pain. However, if I had a Windows based server, all they have to do is double-click on the printer they want to use, and Windows does the rest for the users.

Thanks again